We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

My boyfriend and I are driving down with our dog at the end of May and have about a week to check out the coast for our first time.

We'd like to stay at a few different spots but still have time to relax - if anyone has any recommendations on the best spots to camp (and where to reserve since we want to make sure we have places to stay before we head out), that would be great.

We really love the ocean so any campgrounds on or near nice beaches (dog friendly ones are a nice bonus!) are what we're really after.

I was thinking to stop at one spot heading south, another at our southernmost point (wherever that may be?), and another stop on the way back north - so any tips on how to divide the trip up so we're not driving too much would also be appreciated!

Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
#1 of 15 hotels in Cannon Beach
The Ocean Lodge
The Ocean Lodge
#2 of 15 hotels in Cannon Beach
Inn at Cannon Beach
Inn at Cannon Beach
#3 of 15 hotels in Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,751 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

Tent camping?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

Yep!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,751 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

You can check out the Oregon State Park website:

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/index.shtml

Only one SP camping area is on the ocean (Beachside - between Yachats and Waldport), but choose your site carefully as it is also right on busy Hwy 101.

One other SP has ocean views and that's Harris Beach in Brookings, but there are only a few campsites with views and it's a long hike down to the beach.

The others are on the east side of Hwy 101 or tucked back away from the ocean.

There are some Forest Service campgrounds but they do not have showers.

On the south coast at Gold Beach there is a private RV park campground called Oceanside RV Park that is on the ocean and river. Tents are either back in some trees or out almost on the beach away from the RV hookup sites.

West of Coos Bay there is a private campground that has a few *wonderful* tent sites right on the beach. Book ASAP. It's also called Oceanside RV Park near Charleston.

North of Tillamook is a county campground near the beach called Barview Jetty.

There are many other campgrounds with varying amenities all along the coast. If you Google "oregon coast campgrounds" that will bring up lots of websites :-)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Waldport
Waldport
Oregon Coast, OR
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

We love Cape Lookout State Park. Just a very short dune to the beach. You will find it in the State Parks web.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Lookout State Park
Cape Lookout State Park
110 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

Thanks for the tips so far! Is the Nehalem Bay campground close to the beach? So many campgrounds that all look like they're right on the beach so I was surprised to hear that only a couple actually are!

I also found a little cabin in an RV Park on the Nehalem River - would this be walking distance to the ocean?

Thanks again! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,751 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

What is the name of the RV Park on the river? I doubt very much it's within walking distance of the ocean, though.

The SP campground there is near the ocean, but tucked back behind some dunes. You cannot see the ocean from the campground. As far as actual walking distance, I'm thinking it's about a half-mile to the ocean, but that may be from the horse camping area where I've been. Others here may know for sure.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

The RV park is called Nehalem Shores -

I checked out the places around the Gold Coast but I think it might be a bit too far south for us as we want to limit our driving once we hit Oregon.

I think I'm between (or may select 2 or all 3 of these) Barview Jetty, Cape Lookout, and Nehalem Bay... if anyone has info on how long it takes to walk to the beaches from these spots and if the beach areas here are nice (and if they allow dogs or not) that would be great!

Or any more info at all since I'm not having too much luck on the internet so far...

Thank you! :)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

We took our dog to Cape Lookout and he loved the short 5 minute walk to the beach. We wondered down the beach and up the beach for over two hours one morning and it was heaven.

It's just a short span over a dune, maybe 10 feet if I remember correctly. I saw evidence of bonfires on the beach, and you'd be close enough to get some fresh seafood to barbeque if you are willing to drive a little.

I like to go to Rockaway beach. I buy fresh (live) dungeness crabs from the guys fishing. I take a big kettle with us, and pour a bottle or two of dark beer into it and steamed the crabs (with foil over it) over the campfire. UMM Umm Good dinner.

There are lots of places where the boats come in where you can buy fresh seafood to cook by campfire.

Mentioned in this post
Rockaway Beach
Rockaway Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

At Nehalem Bay, if you are able to get one of the campsites against or across the street from the sand dune, you will be 100 or so yards from the beach. As was pointed out, you cannot see the ocean, but you are close to one of the longest, widest beaches in Oregon.

You also need to be aware that the park is not so fondly refered to as "Sandblast State Park", due to what seems a near constant north wind blowing across the sand spit. Over the years I've rescued more tents than I can count from the trees and blowing down roadways because careless campers didn't heed warnings. The wind is usually calm b4 10am and after sunset.

Nehalem Shores is a very small, private campground about 1 mile north of the flashing light on Hwy 101 in Nehalem (This is North Fork Rd). The park sits above the river and offers gorgeous views of the river and coast range mountains beyond. Like Nehalem Bay, they cater primarily to RV's but do have a just a couple tents sites and a few cabins.

Cape Lookout is 12 miles SW of Tillamook (45 minutes south of Nehalem Bay). It's proximity to the ocean is about the same as Nehalem Bay, but there are more mature trees and vegetation here that help block the wind somewhat, thus it is MUCH better suited for tent camping than Nehalem Bay.

Edited: 7:01 pm, January 27, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,751 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach Campgrounds Driving Down Coast from Vancouver?

Oh I know where Nehalem Shores is. Hmmm, that's a long way from the ocean on foot.