We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week on the Oregon Coast

4 posts
Save Topic
A week on the Oregon Coast

Hi, my husband and I are looking a trip next summer to coastal Oregon. We would be traveling with our 3 sons who will be 4.5, 7, 9. We are mostly interested in outdoor activities and natural beauty. Being from Louisiana, the landscape will be very different for my children. I want them to see waterfalls, dense forest, tidal pools, sandy beaches, rugged coastline, lighthouses, sea lions / whales. I definitely would like to include a half-day fishing trip because that's a passion for my older boys. My husband and I love quaint towns and shopping, galleries, Historic sites. A little of this on that trip would be fine but not too much because the children will be restless while we window shop. we want to maximize our trip without driving too much and changing a hotel every night

What do you think of this rough itinerary. This would be late July / early August 2018.

Fri night fly NOLA to Portland

Saturday - Portland

Sunday - travel to Columbia River Gorge, see Mt Hood, stay out there that night (??)

Monday - travel to Tillamook coast. Spend day doing cheese factory / three capes drive with lots of time to get out and explore , end up down the coast in the Newport area

Tues - beach day

Wed - fishing trip half day / ??

Thursday - downtown Newport (aquarium , shopping, sea lions etc)

Friday - yachats / cape perpetua area hiking and sightseeing

Sat - check out and drive down to florence. Sand dune rides (kids will love this), famous lighthouse, drive after dinner back to Portland to stay next to airport

Sun morning - fly home

Should we take a day away from the Newport Beach area? We aim to use it as a homebase to explore that entire coastline. Is this a redundant itinerary ? We've heard the hype about Cannon Beach but not sure we can incorporate it without wearing our children out from too much driving.

Our kids love to be outside. I could definitely see them spending half the day just playing in tidal pools if we find a good spot.

We definitely could rearrange the order of what we do in Newport. We could make the day trip to Florence earlier in the week etc. As far as fishing goes if anybody has any charters to recommend I would appreciate it. I've seen several in the Newport / depoe Bay Area that look great.

Appreciate any thoughts

9 replies to this topic
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

Original poster here : should we add a second night to the Gorge area and take one away from Newport?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

Skip the Tillamook stop unless you just want to buy cheese or ice cream that is cheaper at retail stores. They are rebuilding so there is no tour of the facilities..

The answer to your question about the Gorge is no.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

Agree with Bob. Tillamook is inland, not on coast, not scenic. Cheese factory not worth the time. Newport great base. You can even add time to the Newport/Yachats/Florence central coast.

Take 18 across to Lincoln City and then south on 101. Take sometime to look for whales in Depoe Bay. The rangers at the whale watch center will reward everyone for sightings. Also consider going out on a whale watch tour with Carrie Newell in ber Zodiak. Maybe part of a daytrip from Newport.

Good tide pools in Newport and Cape Perpetua. Not really much of a downtown in Newport, just the highway. Better galleries and interesting places in the Yachats area and in Florence's Old Town, where the ice cream parlor will satisfy everyone.

As for the Gorge, you can do the Mt. Hood Loop as a daytrip out of Portland. Don't know what the fires will leave, but the waterfalls will still be flowing and hopefully the kids will still be able to feed the fish and see the huge sturgeon at the hatchery.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

>> I want them to see waterfalls, dense forest, tidal pools, sandy beaches, rugged coastline, lighthouses, sea lions / whales. I definitely would like to include a half-day fishing trip <<

Then you will want to concentrate on the coast between Lincoln City and Florence.

The Three Capes drive gets lots of 'press' but the drive itself offers very few ocean views, and the general scenery is not spectacular other than a couple of viewpoints. The beaches farther south offer far more for families.

Newport itself has two lighthouses, the aquarium, bay tours, an oyster farm tour, several fishing excursion options, and long flat beaches. Plus a big variety of lodging and dining. You can get very close (safely) to huge sea lions at Port Dock 1 on the bayfront, and usually see whales from Yaquina Head.

Your family might enjoy the Drift Creek Falls suspension bridge and waterfalls which is just a few miles inland from Lincoln City:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

If your boys have never seen a covered bridge there is one about 8 miles east of Yachats as well as one just east of Lincoln City. The latter one is no longer in use and is located on private land but with easy public foot access.

The new Tillamook cheese factory visitors center is scheduled to open some time next summer, but I agree that simply buying Tillamook cheese and other products may work just as well for you.

To find tidepools:

http://oregontidepools.org/popular_tidepools (Check numbers 8 thru 16)

>>Should we take a day away from the Newport Beach area?<<

No. And it's just "Newport". Newport Beach is in southern California ;-)

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

THANK YOU all so, so much for your thoughtful input. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Y'all have given me some really valuable information!

I'm so excited for this trip- can't believe I have to wait 10 months.

I am continuously amazed by the bounty that Oregon offers. I feel certain that this will be the first of numerous trips because there is so much else to see.

Thanks again! (And anyone else with input please continue to share!)

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,171 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

Newport is our coastal Oregon base of choice.

Like that you enjoy the great outdoors.

oregon coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

Cape Perpetua just south of Yachats is an easy day trip from Newport and offers Great hiking with views and the Devils Churn. Yachats town can be quite charming as well.

Dont miss having lunch at Tidal Raves Restaurant in Depoe Bay (make a reservation) It sits right on the ocean and the views are da bomb!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

We would be traveling with our 3 sons who will be 4.5, 7, 9.""""" do you have 3 or 4 children ?? on the way to astoria you should spend a few hours at seaside -- sort of a coney island type of town - the kids will enjoy it

i would suggest you pass on tillamook unless you want to see a movie on how they make cheese

Edited: 9:36 am, September 23, 2017
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A week on the Oregon Coast

3 boys - they will be 4,7,9. (I was indicating the youngest will be 4 1/2 next summer in case anyone had recs for activities with age Limits)

Sounds like we should skip tillamook. Will focus on newport to florence area.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations !

Reply to: A week on the Oregon Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted