We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Hello, I want to first start out with a thank you, because I know any information you can provide will help make this trip we are planning to the Oregon Coast a fabulous one!

We are 2 Canadian couples coming from Sicamous, BC on September the 8th.

The first day we plan to drive to Tacoma, Washington. Still need to find a clean reasonalbly priced accomodation there. September 9 we plan to shoot down I 5 to Eugene and over to Florence and end up in Gold Beach where we have booked an Airbnb for two nights. Sunday we head to Crescent City and area for the Redwood Forest. Following day enjoy Gold Beach area to Coos Bay and then scoot up to Yachats where we have another Airbnb for two nights. On Tuesday we plan to back track the area to Coos Bay and up and have a Dunes tour in Florence. Wednesday enjoy Yachats to Lincoln City but must scoot up to Rockaway Beach for yes, our last Airbnb for two nights. Thursday: Rockaway Beach to Lincoln City and Friday, Rockaway to Astoria to Chehalis to spend our last night until we head back to Canada the Saturday. Gosh this is a long post!! My request to you (this amazing forum:)) is: Is this a good plan? The Airbnb's are booked, so no changing that. We realize this is a busy trip but we are up for it! Lol Any suggestions as to what to see for sure, what takes the most time, etc is very appreciated. I have been reading many posts on this forum but felt I needed to put our plan on paper so you could advise. Thanks again:)

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
1. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

what is the zip code for rockaway beach

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
123 posts
3. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

no reason to back track allllllllll thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeee wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back to Lincoln city from Rockaway. travel back to tillamook ice cream, then take in the sights between and arounnd tilamook, once you drive thru lincoln city it will be an easy decision to make. Linocln City has nothing to offer and is more of a local Oregonian beach town for folks who like to fly kites and get wet in the surf and want a lodging right on the surf to watch the sunset. Newport should be your focus on that leg of the trip And Scoot is the word from yathcts to Rockway.....that is a long leg of the trip.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,936 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Ideally, I'd like to see you reverse the loop and drive down the coast instead of up, making the oceanside pullouts easier, but since you already have some reservations I guess it makes sense to stick to your itinerary...mostly. I still don't like all the backtracking. I'd rather see you spend your time more efficiently and economically going in just one direction.

That leg from Tacoma to Eugene to Gold Beach will be a very long drive. It will be almost 5 hours just to Eugene. And, again, you'll wind up covering the area south of Florence twice. A better route would be I-5 to 38 and west along the South Umpqua River Scenic Hwy to Reedsport (stopping at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area just inland from the coast). Still a long drive, but not as long and time consuming as getting through Eugene and Florence.

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Yes, my friend decided the North to South I-5 trip and we did not realize. But the back tracking will help with driving along the Ocean side. Most Airbnb require two nights stay and we have to back track with our time as we cannot stay longer. I really like your "better route" suggestion! This is what I need to know:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,473 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

I agree with the suggestions from oregonpoppa. For your sightseeing around the redwoods, are you taking a day trip from Gold Beach or are you staying somewhere in Crescent City?

I'm wondering why you're backtracking to Coos Bay from Yachats? If you look closely at a map, you will see that not all Highway 101 is right on the ocean . . . and the section between Florence and Coos Bay is one of those. It's certainly not an "ugly" drive, but not overly scenic with very limited water views.

The most scenic parts of the 101 coastal drive are:

The southern coast between about the CA/OR border and Port Orford,

The section between about Yachats and Florence, and

The section between about Cannon Beach and just north of Tillamook.

Yachats to Rockaway Beach is only about a 3 hour drive if you make no stops, so if you have an approximate 6-ish hour driving day you should have plenty of time for stops. The visitors center at the Tillamook cheese factory is being rebuilt so the main building is closed but there is a small temporary one open.

Do not expect that 'everyone goes home' after the USA Labor Day weekend of Sept 1-4! You will still have plenty of traffic on 101 so figure an overall speed of about 50 MPH / 80 KPH. All towns have much slower speed limits and you'll go right through many towns :-)

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Lol, okkkkk! So glad I am asking for help as we have never been before and love to hear what you all can suggest. I am ready to change what we can:)

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Thank you half-Brit. We are making a "day trip" from Gold Beach to the Redwoods as we have 2 nights Airbnb booked at Gold Beach. Our plan is general. Again, we have never been to the Oregon Coast and we thought it ALL was a sight to see. We did not want to miss anything. That is why I am calling out for help. Coos Bay was chosen only as a possible place to end and start again the next day. Your suggestions on where to spend our time is valuable. We definitely can change as you recommend . Although I am reading wonderful things about Bandon and Coos Bay (Cape Arago State Park) too. Asking for help and questions is what this forum is for yes?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,473 posts
1,111 reviews
9. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

If your Coos Bay night is not yet solidly booked, I'd suggest staying in Bandon, or maybe just staying another night in Gold Beach if possible. Without stops, Gold Beach to Bandon is only an hour's drive and then Coos Bay is just a half hour north of Bandon.

The Coos Bay area is slightly inland, so you don't get the ocean feel or views in town. Coos Bay and the town next door, North Bend, is the largest "metro" area of the coast and is always busy. There is a dandy new museum there, and the Boardwalk may interest you as well.

About 20-ish minutes west of Coos Bay/North Bend is Cape Arago which is definitely worth a visit! The waves are huge even at low tide and if you like gardens, there is a lovely one there.

Going south from Gold Beach to the redwoods, you'll have about an hour's drive to the beginning of the big trees as you approach Crescent City. If you want to take the time, drive all the way south to the lovely seaside village of Trinidad. Be sure to take the Newton Drury scenic parkway at least one direction as it's a beautiful paved scenic drive through towering redwoods. You may also want to drive up to the top of Requa Road just north of Klamath to see the gorgeous view. The Thomas Kuchel visitors center is worth a stop, and Trees of Mystery has an excellent free museum just inside, plus the famous Paul Bunyon and 'Babe' statues. The drive-thru tree in Klamath is kitchy fun and if your vehicle is to large you can walk through it ;-)

Expect short delays as the road south of Crescent City is always being worked on. Also, there will be smoke along the southern Oregon & northern Calif coast as there is a huge fire in the Brookings area. Hopefully the wind will be off shore though so the air quality will be good.

Grande Prairie
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Two Canadian couples need advice for Road Trip in September

Wow half-Brit! I loved your suggestions!!! The 2 nights in Gold Beach and then on to Yachats for 2 is solid. We never planned to stay in Coos Bay and it was strongly suggested from above posts we do not spend much time there. I like your information of the area. All suggestions thus far have been taken to heart and we appreciate the valued opinions of all. The South from Gold Beach to Redwoods is awesome information and I will include all that in that day if possible! I am grateful for your post:)