We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
747 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

For my 60th birthday, I wanted to go someplace that was physically beautiful with mountains, lakes, waterfalls, hiking trails through old growth forests in autumn, and non-commercial in character. We discovered a gem in Graham County, south of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. We spent seven nights at the Blue Boar Inn, in one of their cottages, which is roughly 10 miles west of Robbinsville. Here are some of the special places that we visited:

1. Kilmer Memorial Forest. There is a several mile loop trail through one of the largest old growth preserves in the eastern United States. We hiked this twice - it was magical on a rainy day and sparkling on another day when the sun fell on the autumn leaves in the dense forest. Be sure to drive to Maple Point Observation. There are several longer hiking trails in the forest, but we didn't have time!

2. The Cherolaha Skyway. We took a day to drive this skyway and enjoy the grand vistas of distant mountains, with frequent stop offs at look out points. Most of these parking areas also have trailheads. We enjoyed hiking from several of these. The Skyway spans both North Carolina and Tennessee. On the Tennessee side, at the start, there is a small restaurant by the stream that is worth a stop. Definitely worth the drive on the Tennessee side is the Forest Service Road 210 to Bald River Falls. This paved road is close by a stream and is just so beautiful. With the fall foliage it is indescribable! The waterfall is right by the road with convenient parking. You can turn around a little further down the road.

3. Lake Santeetlah. This is a totally uncommercial lake and if you take a look at it on a map you will see that it has many coves. The Blue Boar Inn is one mile off Rte 143 on a forest service road in the national forest. You drive on this dirt road with great views of the lake. As guests of the inn, we used their kayaks (they also have canoes) and explored the lake and its coves. Serene.

4. Twenty Mile Falls in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. One of the wonderful things about Graham County is that you can access the national park from the south, where much fewer people are. From this access point, there are several hikes some quite long. there is a 1 mile loupe trail. We loved this place so much because the path always had a stream beside it, sometimes with roaring cascades, and interesting terrain of boulders and trees. And hardly anyone was there! We chose one of the longer trails one day and just walked and walked and didn't see anyone else. On another day, we had a picnic beside the cascades near the entrance and just enjoyed the sun, sounds of the water and the falling leaves.

5. Country roads. Just great driving on country roads! In addition to the skyway, the road from Kilmer Memorial Forest, past Horse Cove, then onto 129 through Tapoco and then to Rt 28 to get to the Twenty mile falls was quite scenic and fun. We didn't drive the Tail of the Dragon, but we spoke to others who really enjoyed that.

It rained one day. We brought our rain gear and it was no problem. That was the day we walked in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. Then we returned to our cottage and sat beside a warm fire!

We enjoyed this area so much that we would like to return when the rhododendrom are in bloom, which we understand is in early June. The mountains and hiking trails are supposed to be beautiful then!

This area is much less traveled than other areas in North Carolina and is a real gem - if you like to do the sorts of things that I mentioned above. Graham County is 2/3 national forest with elevations up to 5,600 feet.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

It's a beautiful area - thanks for the report! Joyce Kilmer is like a fairyland - unbelievable. Glad you had a good time.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Nice report, Journeyer. There are so many incredible places in the mountains, and the out-of-the-way ones are most special IMO. I've done the Joyce Kilmer trails and number of times, but it's been quite a few years. I need to get back there soon.

Oh, and for 60 years old, I must say you are awesome. When I reach your age, I hope I'm still kicking it up on trails, kayaking, and enjoying the mountains just like you are! :)

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Great report! You had a wonderful time!

Yes, the Cherohala Skyway is beautiful! I did a hike there, a flat paved one. I was amazed at how many different trees, plants, and fungus was on one hike.

You really did not miss much not doing the Tail of the Dragon. There are so many curves and switch backs you do not really see much.

How long is the dirt road to the Inn?

How many bedrooms are in the cottage? Which one did you stay in?

Is Maple Point stairs or flat ramp?

Thank you for the report!

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

I took a drive that way when I was staying in Bryson City a few weeks ago. I loved that area! Quiet, not as crazy as the main part of GSMNP, beautiful lakes, country roads and views. I took 28 from 19/74 west past Tsali, the Fontana Dam and towards Deals Gap, then turned south on 129? with detours to Joyce Kilmer and a little park on a lake. I then hit the Cherahola Skyway and drove west until it got dark, stopping for some nice hikes(including one to a bald with awesome views). At dusk, I turned around and drove through Robbinsville to TOpton on 19/74 and then headed back north to the Bryson City cabin. Full day, but nicest of my trip.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the trip report. That area is my favorite in the NC/Tn mountains.

Suepeggy... Maple Point is a flat boardwalk to the beautiful lookout. In early June the Mt. Laurel is out. There is also a small waterfall road side on the road up when the water is running strong. Several pulloffs with nice views.

Designerang...sounds like you had a great time on your solo trip. Please post a trip report.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
747 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Hi Suepeggy,

We stayed in the Trillium Cottage. It is one of the cottages that overlooks the lake and the mountains in the distance - loved the view sitting on the porch.

The Trillium has two bedrooms and I think the living room couch can open to be a bed as well. Here is the link to read the details of all the cottages: http://blueboarinn.com/blueboarestates.html

I called the Blue Boar Inn to discuss each cottage in order to choose the one best suited for us. The main page of the website is: http://blueboarinn.com/index.html

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Check out Fontana Dam if you make it back. Nice, with interesting exhibits of area and the floods that once happened.

Also, can cross dam to get to GSMNP and hiking. Pretty sure the Appalachian trail crosses just over the dam.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
747 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Thanks, ScottE. Good tip for our next trip!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

Fabulous Report, thanks for sharing. We often go to Twenty Mile Falls area for a long weekend in spring & summer.The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is not crowded then; you meet very few people on their hikes...We love it..

10. Re: Graham County - Trip Report 10/22 - 10/29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 15, 2010