We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

McCalla, AL
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

Going down next week for a girls beach trip and are planning on staying in Pensacola Beach. What does it look like now and when are they saying this mess will come ashore? We're staying at the Best Western on the beach. From what I can tell from there website, we're very close to the pier. What's the status so far? We REALLY don't want to cancel.

Pensacola Beach...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

I walked from my house (near Peg Leg Pete's) eastward about 2 miles to the pier this morning.

There are some scattered tarballs on the beach in the high tide line. This isn't a continuous gooey line of stuff but flattened balls ranging from pea to dollar bill size. You walk along and there will be a couple of dozen or so little ones, then none, then one or two bigger ones, then nothing, etc. Anything above the high tide line is free of this.

My husband went surfing for 3 hours about 5 miles to the East and said he didn't see any tarballs on the beach but did see a few in the water. He said they didn't stick to him or his board but felt like they would have stuck to his hand if he had reached out and grabbed one.

There were tons of people of all ages in the water and on the beach. Unless things get much, much worse, the County doesn't intend to close the entire beach. They said they might close scattered small areas to make clean-up easier then re-open those and close others.

No one seems to know what is coming, when, or how much worse it might be.

Hope this helps.

McCalla, AL
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

Thanks for the information. We're still planning on making our trip to Pensacola Beach - oil or no oil. As long as we stay out of the water, I think we'll be ok. Would you mind letting me know if there's an update so we can be prepared? Thanks!

3. Re: Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:36 am, July 15, 2010
McCalla, AL
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

We got back home yesterday from an absolutely fabulous trip to Pensacola Beach! I don't know about all beaches in that area, but we saw NO oil in the water or on the sand. The water was perfect, the people were very friendly and helpful and the food was fabulous! I am keeping this little spot of heaven in my prayers along with the rest of our beautiful Gulf beaches. I was sad to leave - wondering if it will ever be the same. Thank you for a wonderful stay on a slice of paradise!

5. Re: Oil on the beach in Pensacola Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Pensacola Beach
Recent Conversations