We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

I am planning a trip to the Southwest in April or May. This is the itinery I was planning. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Fly To Vegas on Sat and stay one night (been to LV before).

Sun drive to Zion. Visit Zion Sun and Mon.

Tues drive to Bryce.

From Bryce I am going to head part way toward Arches (sleep somewhere in between), then visit Arches. My first question is whether I should spend 2 days at Bryce and one at Arches or vice versa?

Thursday in Arches. Head toward Mesa Verde in the evening.

Friday Mesa Verde, head toward Alb. NM in the evening and spend Saturday Alberquerque.

I am debating between spending a day in Alb. or some time in Moab or some other place in between Arches and Alb. (flying out of Alb so need to head toward there). Any suggestions?

Sunday fly out.

I would also appreciate some recommendations for horseback riding or possibly a ranch to spend a night.

Lots of info! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

I would do two days in the Moab area and one in Bryce. Moab has Canyonlands, Arches, Dead Horse State Park, and many other places/activities.

Be sure to take Rte 12 and 24 from Bryce to Moab as this is an amazing drive. Consider staying in Torrey.

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
255 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

I would probably do just one day in Bryce. I was there and was able to do most of the stuff I wanted to do in a day. Never been to Arches or Canyonlands. I have been to Capital Reef. I really enjoyed it. The Cassidy Arch hike was real fun.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

Same opinion as previous posters. One night in Bryce, as many as you can fit in for Moab.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

I would, without a doubt, spend one day in Bryce and two days in Arches. You can do a great day hike through the Amphitheater at Bryce in one day and hit the best of the park. In Arches, there is NO WAY to see all that you should in one day. I know this may be pushing it, but one day in Arches I spent the entire time hiking the guided tour through the Fiery Furnace, hiking to Delicate Arch, and hiking to Landscape and Double O' Arch. If you are in good condition, I would HIGHLY recommend doing this in a day. It was one of the best days of hiking I've ever had. That could leave you with the other day to do a few short hikes to the parts of the park assessible right of the road.

As for the area between Moab and Alb., I've never really had any experiences in Alb., just driving through it. However, there are some great places you can visit between Moab and Alb. First, as already mentioned, Canyonlands would be a great day. Also, Natural Bridges National Monument looks to be nearby. I've never been there, but it sounds really neat. Finally, I would highly recommend taking Highway 128 NE from Moab and taking the interstate to Grand Junction, Colorado. From Grand Junction, take Highway 50 south to Ouray, Colorado. From there to Durango, Colorado is a stretch of highway known as the "Million Dollar Highway." This area is absolutely beautiful, located in the San Juan Mountains. This provides vastly different terrain from the rest of your trip, and, speaking from experience, is a must-do drive. From Durango, Mesa Verde is just a little west. This trip seems a little out-of-the-way, but it is rewarding.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong. The entire Colorado Plateau is amazing. I'll be heading to Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon as part of a longer trip that includes Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, and Death Valley. For your trip, make sure you don't cut yourself short on Zion...I'm planning on 3 out of 9 days just in Zion. Anyways, I hope my suggestions helped a little bit in your tough decisions.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

I would, without a doubt, spend one day in Bryce and two days in Arches. You can do a great day hike through the Amphitheater at Bryce in one day and hit the best of the park. In Arches, there is NO WAY to see all that you should in one day. I know this may be pushing it, but one day in Arches I spent the entire time hiking the guided tour through the Fiery Furnace, hiking to Delicate Arch, and hiking to Landscape and Double O' Arch. If you are in good condition, I would HIGHLY recommend doing this in a day. It was one of the best days of hiking I've ever had. That could leave you with the other day to do a few short hikes to the parts of the park assessible right of the road.

As for the area between Moab and Alb., I've never really had any experiences in Alb., just driving through it. However, there are some great places you can visit between Moab and Alb. First, as already mentioned, Canyonlands would be a great day. Also, Natural Bridges National Monument looks to be nearby. I've never been there, but it sounds really neat. Finally, I would highly recommend taking Highway 128 NE from Moab and taking the interstate to Grand Junction, Colorado. From Grand Junction, take Highway 50 south to Ouray, Colorado. From there to Durango, Colorado is a stretch of highway known as the "Million Dollar Highway." This area is absolutely beautiful, located in the San Juan Mountains. This provides vastly different terrain from the rest of your trip, and, speaking from experience, is a must-do drive. From Durango, Mesa Verde is just a little west. This trip seems a little out-of-the-way, but it is rewarding.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong. The entire Colorado Plateau is amazing. I'll be heading to Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon as part of a longer trip that includes Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, and Death Valley. For your trip, make sure you don't cut yourself short on Zion...I'm planning on 3 out of 9 days just in Zion. Anyways, I hope my suggestions helped a little bit in your tough decisions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

Here is what I would do.

Sun: drive to Zions, take as many hikes as I can manage (you should be able to get in all the short ones. If you are in good shape then head first for Angels Landing. ) stay Zions

Mon: Spend the morning in Zion's and then drive to Bryce and enjoy an evening hike on Navajo Loop. Stay Bryce.

Tues: Morning Bryce, afternoon drive to Torrey on Hwy 12. Stop at least at one attraction along the way (calf creek falls hike/ kodachrome basin SP/ Escalante state park,petrified wood/Anasazi SP in Boulder) Certainly stop and enjoy the views. Go into Capitol Reef and check out what you can. Stay Torrey

Wed: Drive to Moab, detouring to Dead Horse SP and Canyonlands NP first. Stay Moab

Thur: Arches. Stay Moab

Fri: Drive to Mesa Verde, (a detour to Island in the Sky possibly)enjoy the park, stay Durango

Sat: drive to Alb.

What a way to spend a week!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help

1 day in Bryce, 2 in Arches or the Moab area......Canyonlands, or Dead Horse state park.

yes, the "million dollar highway" has beautiful scenery

the road to "Telluride" is also wonderful!

Natural bridges is a good place.....not spectacular though.

I would never give Zion just one day. We think it is fabulous. Zion Canyon, East Zion, and Kolob Canyon are three very different areas and deserve exploring in more than just a morning or half day!

I haven't been to Al.except for the train station so I really can't comment on that.

8. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 25, 2009