We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Topic
Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

I'll be arriving in UT the afternoon of 4/22. I want to see Bryce first, then Zion. I'll be doing the Ragnar Trail Relay next to Zion on 4/25, so I'll have a few days to explore both parks on my own before the event.

What tips does everyone have on group/outfitter day hikes at both parks, (as I don't like hiking alone), where to stay (best value and convenience), what to do, where to eat?

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,769 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

For a Bryce, stay at Rubys Inn. Don't worry about hiking solo. There will be plenty of people on the trails. Keep your expectations low for dining options near Bryce. Plan to eat simply. Stay in Springdale for Zion where the abundance of eateries is fantastic. Lodging too. Something for every style and budget.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Agree with what was said above....

For Bryce most of the hikes are in one concentrated area where there will be alot of hikers.

The lodging in Bryce is basically Ruby's Inn Best Western and across the street there is a newer best western. Rubys has a place to eat. It does a dinner buffet.

how many other days are you going to be there?

If you are arriving on 4/22 and have to be for 4/25 near Zion, are you flying into SLC? Vegas? When is your flight out?

There are some smaller lodging outside the park along UT 12 in Tropic, Ut and Pangultch.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Jamie G, Welcome to the TA forums.

My understanding is that guiding in the parks in not allowed, or is on a limited basis. The main trails are well marked and well traveled, I have hiked alone at times on them and not worried.

You could do Bryce for one night and Zion for two. That would give you time for the main trails in each park.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Yes, the outfitters are allowed to provide very limited guided hiking within the park boundaries. The only guided hike that I can confirm is the well known partial Narrows hike. Note that this possibility might be scuttled by spring snow melt in late April. Most of the outfitters provide the illusion that they are providing guided hiking in Zion. They are referring to the Zion area, and they take you to areas outside of the park boundaries, much like the relay you are participating in. If you are still interested in guided, you can talk to Zion Rock Guides and Zion Adventures, and to a lesser extent, Zion Mountain School and Red Desert Adventures. Other possibilities are found by doing a quick search with your engine of choice. The above outfitters can be found listed under Springdale->things to do on the tripadvisor pages. Zion Adventures is the most well known outfitter in the area, in my opinion.

At Bryce, the rim trail and the Queens Garden and Navajo trail combo will have plenty of visitors all year round. The other trails in the park will be much quieter, muddier, even undistinguishable as Bryce recovers from winter. As mentioned, Rubys Inn and the Best Western Grand are good choices to stay at Bryce. The lodge in the park will be open for the season. Farther out from the park boundary you will find such places as Bryce Canyon Resort and Fosters. An area resource that may be helpful is www.brycecanyoncountry.com Note that the outfitters that you find on this site operate mainly in the Escalante canyons region

In Zion, any of the hikes in the main canyon, plus Canyon Overlook trail on SR9, will be busy in late April, as Zion is already plenty busy by then. Look for the hiking tab on www.zionnational-park.com to get a better feel for the trails. The backcountry trails will be much quieter, and will be the trails you are probably referring to when you require not being alone. I assume you are staying in Springdale for your relay. Here is the resource that I like that details some of the restaurants and their respective cuisines>> www.zionpark.com

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Thanks much!

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Thanks so much! I'll fly into Vegas and drive to Bryce, then Zion. It'll be 4/22 in Bryce, then probably 4/23 and 4/24 near Zion. I have to be at the event site by 10 AM on Fri, 4/25.

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Great info. Thanks so much!

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

I'll do that. Thanks :-)

San Diego...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

Great info. Really appreciate it!

10. Re: Tips for visiting Bryce, then Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 12, 2015