We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

Sioux City, Iowa...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

When you live in Iowa its hard to get out and visit all the great backpacking spots (Zion is an 18 hour drive). We want to get the most out of Zion that we can in one go. I was hoping to leave a car at the Lee Pass trailhead and take a shuttle to Chamberlain Ranch. We would make the Zion narrows a 2 day ordeal. From there I was thinking we would connect to the Trans Zion trails and hit up the rest of the park.

I would like to camp as close to angels landing as possible after leaving the narrows so that we can hit it up early in the morning before it becomes crowded. But for the life of me I cant seem to find any resources that show where the campgrounds are in Zion. At first I thought that we would be able to camp near Echo canyon and then head out in the morning. Its not really looking like the best idea.

Perhaps we would catch the shuttle to one of the regular campgrounds and then hop on in the morning again.

I think i'm going crazy. I'm also not sure where we would camp along the West Rim trail. (I honestly haven't gotten that far.

We will be traveling with a group of either four or six. We are all fairly fit and are not afraid of a little work. That being said we would prefer to keep our days under 10 or so miles. I know that climbing out going east to west is going to be a beast. At least its mostly down hill from there ;).

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

1. Re: Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, September 12, 2014
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

Crystal P, my suggestion would be to post this in Bogley or backcountrypost.com. The network of hikers and backpackers is much larger in this group and both sites are based out of Utah.

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/

http://www.bogley.com/forum/forum.php

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

If for some reason you haven't discovered yet I would take the free shuttle out of the main canyon and camp at South or Watchman - the main Zion campgrounds. To camp at any of the spots on the west rims (no camping near Echo Canyon) would be a major haul up the mountain which you may not want to do after your day in the Narrows. Just catch the very first shuttle back in the morning and you will be fine.

The backcountry pages of the Zions main website do give you the spots on the west rim to camp, but I had to check out two different pages to figure it out when I did our own West Rim hike. To be on the mountain with the best views nearby you'll want campsites 3-6.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

I have a feeling the OP won't be back to discuss this topic.

I will confirm what Kbec has stated, there is no camping in Echo canyon. There is at large camping permitted on the east rim trail, but you have to be up through Echo Canyon onto the East Mesa to do this. If you are starting from a campsite in the Narrows, and want to hike out into the main canyon then up the east ruim trail to the east mesa, then that would be a hard hard day, well beyond what i could do. Besy bet is to just camp in the main canyon between the Narrows hike ant the West Rim trail hike. Second issue you will have is to score the necessary permits. I have never done this for these hikes, but I believe the Narrows permit is available as a walk in only, while the West Rim permit you can apply for in advance(for half of the campground sites only?).

If at all possible, make reservations in the main canyon watchman campground, or at the Quality Inn, between your narrows hike and your West Rim hike. Trying to coordinate a Narrows permit, a walk up camp site at the south campground, and a west rim camping permit would be a tough scenario.

You might want to consider a top down west rim trail hike, much easier, which can be done as a one day(but more than ten miles)

5. Re: Zion Narrows to Angels landing To Trans Zion East to West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 29, 2015