We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon View trail in winter

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon View trail in winter

Is this trail doable in winter? Also is sunrise or sunset better?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon View trail in winter

I assume we are talking about Canyon Overlook trail on SR9? Yes this trail is doable in the winter, but is still subject to crazy weather and ice build up like all of the non flat trails in the park. Right now the trails in the lower park are in pretty good condition, as the earlier snow that fell a few weeks ago has melted. But you should still expect some icy spots. I have hiked it in the early morning and have found the frost has limited my speed. Be sure to be careful. Canyon Overlook is a good hour RT. It is also located in an east and west running canyon, so the sun does not spill into the canyon in the early morning or late evening hours like you would expect.

2. Re: Canyon View trail in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 04, 2015