We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

Will be in Vegas mid-November and want to venture out for a day to see either Zion National Park or the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. What are some thoughts on that? We would have a rental car, a full day, and be ready to put in a lot of hours. Obviously neither can be "done" in a day, but I do remember doing a full day trip as a kid from Vegas to the Hoover Dam GC and being very satisfied with the day. Grand Canyon is about an extra 2 hours from vs. Zion, but we'd also get to see Hoover Dam. We would get up and stay up as late as necessary (I understand Grand Canyon sunsets are worth staying for). We love taking beautiful pictures, and would love to possibly do a short hike. So again, what would you do? any tips or advice are appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

From LV it will be a three hour one way to Zion so six hrs in the car.

For the Grand Canyon 5 hrs one way so 10 hours in the car.

Personally I think either is too far for a one day visit to the parks. Especially mid november when the daylight hours are short. To spend only 3 hrs in either park is possible though certainly not ideal.

So of the two I would lean toward Zion only because of the shorter travel time.

Hoover Dam, on the other hand would make a great day trip. So would Valley of Fire State Park just north of Las Vegas.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

If at all possible, try to figure out how to spend a night at either of them, even if you had to keep your Vegas room. With that said, our family enjoyed Zion more that GCNP. Obviously the Grand Canyon has a bigger wow moment, but there is more to do in Zion and we just found it more enchanting and fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

Zion will have more varied and better options for day hikes. Zion will be closer. I would consider staying for the evening as well. Rent some gear in Springdale and hike The Narrows.

Level Contributor
1 post
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

Zion National Park is so incredibly beautiful! Of course, Grand Canyon is amazing, but I'd say that since you only have a short time, Zion will give you that wow feeling just as well! Just driving through Zion is time well spent, not to mention all the spectacular hikes available.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

If you have never been to GC, then go to south rim for sure. It's simply amazing. I understand that you're ready for a long day, but I wont advice to stay for sunset at GC.

If you prefer less-driving and want to keep GC for future, Zion is good, too. Zion has some good short hikes, and the town of Springdale has some nice restaurants to enjoy. You could also catch a show at Tuacahn Amphitheatre on the way back, if you're interested.

6. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:10 am, November 22, 2013
7. Re: Grand Canyon or Zion NP for day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 08, 2014