We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrows shoe wear

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Narrows shoe wear

I will be hiking the narrows(not top down) in a couple weeks and wanted to ask how small the rocks are in the riverbed? I have Keen Rose sandals but fear that small rocks will get in them and i will have to constantly shake them out. If the riverbed has larger rocks then it shouldn't be a problem. I would rather not rent the clunky shoes they have there if my Keens will work fine(they are so comfy)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrows shoe wear

You should be just fine in those. Two of my boys wore them. One used socks the other didn't. Neither complained. I'm sure there are small pebbles there but mostly what you are dealing with are large bowling ball size rocks

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrows shoe wear

Thanks Kbecjeans!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrows shoe wear

The Narrows riverbed is not consistent. You will find areas from sand to crushed rock/gravel to basketball sized rocks to boulders.

During some portions of the year, the canyoneer boots both protect your feet from the uneven bottom, and keep your feet warm when used in tandem with the neoprene socks.

At the end of September, the water temp will be coming down from the summer high water temps, but should still be a comfortable 60 F. So warmth will not be a concern.

Your other concern will be protecting your feet. Many people will be using water sandals, so you might as well do the same. With the uneven bottom, there are areas where you will have to go at a slow an methodical pace. Any faster and you risk jamming toes / ankles against some of the rocks, which are smooth and slippery. If you plan on just a couple of hours in the river, then the sandals will do fine. If you plan on spending the bulk of the day, perhaps heading into the Wall St. section, then the boots become far more beneficial than burdensome.

Another piece of equipment that is extremely helpful is a sturdy hiking pole, which helps to feel certain areas of the river, as well as assists in maintaining balance. Also carry basic first aid, and bag/drybag your valuables in case you slip into the river.

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrows shoe wear

We just did the Narrows Thursday. We wore our Keens, but I also bought "aqua" socks...neoprene booties, which I was happy to have. The little pebbles did bother me a little, but was a non issue for my husband.

California
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrows shoe wear

I have hiked up the Narrows wearing old hiking boots, also wearing sock liners. Keen light weight boots, I didn't care if the river would tear 'em up. To my surprised, the boots dried up nice and survived a few more years. Hiking poles/sticks also help.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrows shoe wear

We never had any problem with rocks getting in our river sandals. One of my sons, to the dismay of my wife, forgot his closed toed river sandals and just had basic strap sandals and was still fine. You are generally not "sinking down" into the river bed where pebbles could get stuck, but you are walking on top of various sized rocks, from tennis balls up to basketballs...or so

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrows shoe wear

The rocks were mainly large. We rented the shoes and sox and were glad we did bc the water was very muddy and the bigger shoes provided better balance than my Keens would have.

8. Re: Narrows shoe wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 23, 2014