We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring on hikes for Zion

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
What to bring on hikes for Zion

I plan on doing Obs Point, Angels Landing, ZIon Narrows (BOttom Up day hike), and Subway (Bottom up).

What should I bring for the later two hikes besides boots and water and food? Are neoprene socks a must? What type of hiking boots are recommended (brand?) and are there any places around springdale that I can rent from?

For the campgrounds, I want to stay at watchman, which lot in the campground has good tree coverage and is accessible to Virgin river? What should I bring to the campgrounds besides a tent? It seems like bringing portable stove and cooking food is a hassle? Is it more convenient to stop off in town?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

You can rent narrows equipment(water boots called 5-10 canyoneers,neoprene socks, and depending on time of year, wetsuits or drysuits) at a few outfitters in town.Or use your own water shoes(Teva etc..)If you have an expensive camera, maybe rent a drybag in case you fall in the water.

www.zionadventures.com

www.zionrockguides.com

For camping, a stove and cooler is advised, but the campgrounds are so close to town, if you don't want to hassle cooking,you can drive or take the free in-town shuttle to the bars/restaurants in town.Remember to bring your paid entry receipt with you if you exit the park. Its good for seven days.

By the way, the Subway requires a permit. The other hikes mentioned do not.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

Gear and clothing needs will depend on time of year, water flow and water temperature.

With higher flows and cold water temperatures, you really can't beat the neoprene-booties plus 5.10 Canyoneer boot combination that the outfitters rent out for the Narrows. Your feet will stay warm (NOT dry, however) and traction is great.

The Subway requires a lot more hiking though, so if you rent shoes, make sure they're comfortable or you'll be miserable after 10 miles in them. With water temps in the low-50's, I wore 0.5 mil neoprene socks and my own trail runners in the Subway. I took a dry pair of wool hiking socks to change into for the short hike out of the Canyon. The neoprene socks rented out for the Narrows are thick booties (maybe 3-4 mil?); I would not have been able to wear them with my own shoes.

You will want dry bags and hiking pole(s) for both the Narrows and probably the Subway. I didn't take any hiking poles for the Subway and really wished I had them in the actual Subway part. You can rent dry bags at the outfitters.

At Watchman, I think the tent sites on the outer D loop are nicer than the ones on the river. This website has pictures of all of the sites:

www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Watchman

For camping gear, at least bring water containers. Foregoing a kitchen and planning to have meals in Springdale is certainly doable. I usually prefer to at least make breakfast at the campsite, so will always have a backpacking stove, pot and a small cooler. I also have whatever snacks and lunch supplies I'll need for hikes.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

If you include the time of your visit, then we can better recommend gear/footwear.

For the subway, and to a lesser degree the Narrows, you can wear comfortable hiking shoes/boots up to the waters edge before switching to neoprene/canyoneers. It is a practice to stash dry clothes/socks/shoes at the start of the water portions, just so you are not carrying the extra weight in river. I cannot guarantee security, so that would be your choice.

You can rent drybags/drypacks from 5L to over 40L?, at the outfitters listed as well as a good sturdy hiking pole.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

Just to clarify, re the bottom-up Subway hike. The actual "Subway" is part of the Left Fork of North Creek. The trailhead for the hike is a couple of hundred feet above the creek itself, so the hike starts (and ends) with a descent into (and climb out of) the canyon. It's relatively short, maybe 3/4 of a mile, and not super steep but still switchbacks with loose rocks and scree. This is the only "dry" portion of the hike. Once you get to the creek, you're going to be in and out of the river a LOT, as well as scrambling around obstacles along the shore. This part makes up the bulk of the hike and I'm not sure I would have liked doing this in unfamiliar rented footwear, and changing footwear between the dry/wet sections isn't a reasonable option.

The hike out of the canyon is short enough that wet shoes with dry wool socks was fine. Just make sure you keep an eye out for the cairn marking the route out!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

I've done both the Subway and the Narrows in my Keens. It depends on what time of year you're going as to whether you need the neoprene booties. I've gone various times between May and September and have always been comfortable with just the Keens. I bring Teva sandals to change into once I'm done with the hike just to get out of the wet shoes and to let my feet dry out.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

We are heading to the narrows next week. We don't have any expensive hiking boot/tevas. We were just planning on hiking in our sneakers. Hope that works.

We are on a tight budget and I don't want to spend $ renting/buying stuff for 1 hike. I'll let you know how we make out.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

Our family just wore sneakers on the dry hikes, and cheap closed-toed river sandals from Walmart on the narrows. walmart.com/ip/…22796208

We paid $15 for each of us (They are now only $11) and wear them often so we were definitely glad we did. Obviously they are not going to last for years, but they are surprisingly sturdy and comfortable. I have worn them running and during adventure races. My wife bought a similar "kids version" because those didn't come in a small enough size. My 11 year old got a NERF river sandal and although it sounds funny they are great and he wears them all the time.

Seeing people with the big rented shoes seemed like overkill to us and they looked more awkward then we did. If it was cold, I would rent them and the socks, but we thought there was no need at all. We actually laughed seeing people with these fancy shoes and rented stick. We each got a pair of shoes and half of a pair of hiking poles for the same price as renting for one day. My 70 year old parents had similar sandals and each their own pair of poles and really enjoyed it. A stick or a pole is very handy, but we saw people that made it a long ways walking barefoot with no pole. I wouldn't do that, but they amazingly seemed comfortable.

I would not want to go slogging around in sneakers that absorb all that water, but everyone I saw seemed to be enjoying it regardless of their footwear (in the summer).

8. Re: What to bring on hikes for Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014