We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

narrows evening hike

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
narrows evening hike

HI all,

I have read about the crowds hiking the narrows. We are coming next week and I am wondering

if the crowds thin out a bit in the late afternoon/evening? We can't fit it in to go in the a.m.

Thanks

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: narrows evening hike

You have to be mindful of available light in the Narrows. It will get dark a lot faster in the narrower part of the canyon than in the wider main canyon to the south. Also, while you can always choose to turn around at any portion during your Narrows hike, the further you go in, the more impressive the narrows hike becomes. A common goal is Orderville Canyon, which is two hours upriver from the end of Riverside Walk, so about four hours RT on average. If you do plan on hiking in the late afternoon, make sure to have a light source and a backup with you. Head mounted is preferrable as to keep your hands free. Also be mindful of last shuttle from the Temple of Sinawava at the time of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,780 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Orderville Canyon
Orderville Canyon
23 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Riverside Walk
Riverside Walk
271 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Canada
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: narrows evening hike

Very very bad idea, IMO. When the sun goes down, it must be awfully dark down in the river bed! That said, if you were to start at about 3:00pm, you should be good to hike to Wall Street and back, provided you don't waste time and hike at a good spped.

As for the crowds, I noticed that at some point (about after 1 hours of hiking), the crowd gets noticebly thinner.

Edited: 7:11 am, August 06, 2013
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
696 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: narrows evening hike

To get the full experience of The Narrows I suggest starting out in the morning. At the end of Riverside walk, where you first get into the river, there are always crowds, but as you head up the river the crowds thin out. That's how it was for us in June when we did The Narrows. We ran into a number of people as we continued to Big Spring, but at several points along the way we had the canyon to ourselves.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,780 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
4. Re: narrows evening hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 08, 2014