We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion for one day help

Hartford...
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Zion for one day help

Hi, I will have one full day to hike in Zion. From what I've read the Narrows and Angles landing seem like very different, but amazing hikes. Is it possible for me to do both in one day with maybe a break in between. I don't have to go all the way through the narrows. I read that the Wall Street spot is a good place to go up to. Does that work? I want to make sure I get a full experience.

With Angels landing, how long is the hike to the top?

Lastly, do I need to reserve rental equipment for the narrows in advance. Such as boots ect.

Oh, and if there is an even better hike besides these two I have not come across, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,803 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Zion for one day help

The dry bag you'll want is one that river runners use all the time. It is completely waterproof and fairly lightweight. You wouldn't actually need one unless you want to put your electronics in it. You can rent one from one of the Springdale outfitters or buy one if you think you'll want to use it in the future at any retail outlet that specializes in rafting, boating or river trips.

Mentioned in this post
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Zion for one day help

You can find dry bags at any place selling camping gear. For the most part they are quite economical, especially when you consider valuables that you may be carrying. When choosing a dry bag, size is the consideration.

The riverbed in the Zion Narrows is wildly variable. You can expect stretches from calm shallow water with sandy bottom, to spots with slippery rocks pressed together, which are totally obscured by deeper and rapidly moving water. If you have an issue with an ankle, you will need to take extra time to hike and navigate these spots. Shoes with ankle support(like the canyoneers) will obviously need to be considered.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,803 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Zion for one day help

"Shallow water with sandy bottom"???

I must have missed that section. All we got were bowling balls.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Zion for one day help

Well there isn't too much of it, that is for sure.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Zion for one day help

Everyones perspective of "stability" will be different and rocky rivers can vary quite a bit, but in my point of view, it is pretty standard or average for a mostly shallow river covered with mostly smaller rocks (usually softball-sized to basketball). The rocks aren't overly slippery, but most steps you take, you will not see exactly what shape or depth of rock you will be stepping on. Sometimes they are shallower and sometimes they are deeper so you will at least stumble a couple times. I almost tipped over a couple times and one of my sons did a belly flop, but that is part of the fun and not really what would cause ankle problems. The worry for your ankle, I would guess, would be when your foot slips just a little and hits in to another rock, where you could twist it. I am not sure if it has been said already, but for the most part, you are not walking directly up river, you are crossing from one bank to the other as the banks on each side come and go. It is also a "go as far as you like" hike so why not give it a try and see how it goes. I was unsure if my parents would be able to go far at all and knew they would go slower so we went ahead and later found out that they did quite well and went a ways in. I would really recommend having two hiking poles as that can really give you great support even if you slip awkwardly and my parents were very glad to have two poles. If there is a shallow river near you, try it out and see how the ankle feels.

There a various versions of dry bags such as small ones that you might keep in your back pack, to large ones that would replace a backpack. Unless you plan on using the large bag again at other times, it is probably not worth it. My backpack is not water proof but it does not absorb water either so a few ziplok bags carrying my phone/lunch etc. were fine. I also kept my point and shoot camera in my pocket in a ziplok. The bottom of my bag got a little wet and was dry by the time we got on the shuttle. My family does not have as good of bags, but they were dry very quickly as well since the air is so dry and warm once you get out. I wouldn't worry about dry bags as you are probably only going to be waist deep anyway and ziploks for the important stuff work fine.

It is well worth doing it, even if you do not get far. We found that we felt far less awkward on the way back than when we first started, so give yourself some time to get used to it before retreating, if needed.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Zion for one day help

This may not be intuitive, but the deeper the water, the "safer" it is for walking. Deep water means a slower flow PLUS the buoyancy of the water just lets you sort of "tip toe" over the rocks. The wide shallow rapids are much more precarious -- faster water and slippery large rocks. We went when the flow and water levels were quite high and floated most of the way back down -- lots of fun and much easier.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Zion for one day help

That actually reminds me of what we noticed. dozens of people would be lined up to cross in both directions right at a "rapid" and you would see everyone struggling to get across and continually losing their footing. I guess their thinking was that it was the shallowest place, but to us it seemed so obvious that that was the hardest place to cross. We would walk right by them and cross 20 feet above the rapid in the nice smooth calm water.

18. Re: Zion for one day help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 22, 2014