We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Hello, I plan on flying into Vegas Aug 10-17 and driving up to Kanab, UT. I want to visit Zion park, Bryce Canyon, and Lake Powell. Is Kanab, UT a good choice to stay for visiting these three locations?

I thought about staying in Page, AZ (Lake Powell) and then switching hotels (near Zion) but I think it will be easier to stay in the same hotel so I’m not moving my luggage. What are your thoughts? Is Kanab OK? Of my stay (Aug 10-17), I only plan on staying in Kanab 10-13 (so three quick days, one day to see each place). Then I’ll head back to Vegas.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I’m renting a car of course. Kanab seems to be central for the three places on my check list – Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell.

Also, will it be super crowded? I wasn’t sure when school starts for kids. I’ll be traveling with my husband only.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Well, if you want to stay in one place for those locations Kanab will be best but you will miss sunrise and sunset in the National Parks and the special vibe those National Parks have and I would not want to drive those roads in the dark. Lots of wildlife on the roads.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

It is a doable plan to stay in Kanab and visit the places you mentioned, BUT you will be spending a lot more time on the road than you need to AND you will be missing some of the best times in the parks, namely sunrise, sunset and the starry night sky (particularly at Bryce Canyon). Also, you are really shorting yourself on the time needed to see these wonderful areas. "Three quick days, one day to see each place" is not nearly enough, especially now that you will be losing time driving back-and-forth from your base in Kanab. When I started reading your post and you had August 10-17 listed, I thought "OK, she'll have enough time to enjoy Zion, BC and Page", but now that you are cutting the time, I think that you will be hard pressed to really do a lot. Just my opinion.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Thank you both your quick replies. I have been reading reviews on TA for years and just discovered the Forums section!!

Yes, I realize I’m pushing the time with trying to visit everything in 3 quick days. I may reconsider and fly out a day earlier and/or cut out a day in Vegas.

I don’t have hard core plans to hike or do all day excursions. My plan was something like this-

Aug 13/Sat – arrive in Vegas, get to Kanab (lots of driving)

Aug 14/Sun- Head out early to Lake Powel, catch a boat tour (ex- Antelope Canyon, 1.5 hour tour), then stop by the Horseshoe Bend

Aug 15/Mon – Bryce Canyon, spend most of the day there sightseeing

Aug 16/Tues – pack up our luggage, head to Zion, get on the tram/bus, spend a couple hours sightseeing, then drive to Vegas

Again, I don’t know if this is doable but I’m looking for quick sighseeing stuff. Here’s a good example that pretty much sums up my husband and I – we woke up early one morning in Vegas (thanks to me still being on central time) – we drove out to Hoover Damn, walked around for about an hour and was out of there (before the rush). We had a blast and was in back to Vegas around 1PM that day. We didn’t do any tours. I think I kind of want to keep that feel for this coming trip. I don’t know if it will work out but I haven’t booked the hotel so anything could change.

Thanks again! 

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Heather, if that's the way you roll, then go for it. I just think it will be too much driving. Lay out the route on Google maps to get an idea of the drive times and distances. Again, some of the best sight-seeing time is early or late in the day, and you will miss them by communting froma central location plus there is the critter problem that Tet indicated; driving at night is not the best idea. Also keep in mind that in August it will be hot, so you will really want to do your sight-seeing early and late in the day to aviod the heat. Note that Bryce Canyon is 8000 feet above sea level, so the heat will not be as big a factor there.

As for lake Powell, if I had just a short time around Page, my first place to visit would be Antelope Canyon, not from the boat tour, but from walking through it.Totally difference experience.

If you can add a day to the trip, do so. Trim some time from LV and spend some quality time enjoying the natural wonders of southern UT and northern AZ.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Pack light and carry your luggage from place to place. You have way too little time as it is. Wasting 2-4 hours of each day with a commute from Kanab makes it worse.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

8/13: Las Vegas to Page (5 hours drive) sunset at Wah Weap overlook

8/14: Horseshoe bend, Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam drive to Bryce (3 h drive lose one hour)

8/15: Bryce in the morning and drive to Zion (2 h)

8/16: Zion most of the day and drive to Las Vegas (3 h gain one hour).

Tet

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Thank you all again for the replies. I think I'm going to head out one day early (Friday) so that I have an extra day for the parks.

New plan:

Aug 9/Friday: Fly out, drive to Kanab, check in (all the hotels are booked in Page, AZ/Lake Powell) :(

Aug 10/Sat: Lake Powell all day, sightseeing (OhioHick, thanks for recom. Antelope Canyon (not the boat) - I forgot about this area and I def. don't want to miss it), stay in Kanab tonight

Aug 11/Sun: Bryce Canyon all day (Check out of Kanab, visit Bryce, then head to Zion to check into new hotel… a lot of driving…)

Aug 12/Mon: Zion NP all day (Stay in Zion that night)

Aug 13/Tues: morning sightseeing, then head to Vegas

Sound better?

Also, Google maps show Kanab to my destinations at about 1.5 hours. Does that sound right?

Ex – Kanab to Page, AZ (1.2 hours), Kanab to Bryce (1.5 hours)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

With a heavy right foot we drove Page to Kanab in a good hour. I count on a little longer than 1.5 h to Bryce but not much. Bryce-Zion (Springdale) can be done in 2 hours but don't speed because it's a great drive and don't drive in the dark. before My Zion Mt Carmel tunnel is a parkinglot from where you can hike Canyon Overlook Trail although this is best done in the morning.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

Leave Bryce 3-4 hours before you want to be at your hotel in Soringdale for Zion. East Zion deserves a couple of hours as you enter the park. You won't have enough time to go back there the next day.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Zion, Bryce, and Lake Powell - Stay in Kanab????

I'm not a fan of long drives but would be OK with your plan. Las Vegas to Kanab wasn't bad at all. Be sure to have dinner at Rocking V in Kanab. We drove from Kanab to Zion via Bryce, through a blizzard, and still managed to arrive in Zion early enough to do a short hike.