We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

…continued from my GRAND canyon trip report…(and so it starts with day #7)

Day7: 05/10 – Even though, the time zone is different in Zion than in GC – we were not aware of this till we spent more than 24 hours in Zion! Today, I hiked the Angel’s landing…and I was speechless. Well, ppl might be speechless out of fear on this trail, but I was speechless by the sheer beauty and the view from the top! The hike took around 4.5 hrs. We had a really heavy rain fall for some 30 mins – when we were at the top of the angel’s landing!! That was some furious wind and raining…we were at the mercy of Mother Nature to not be stroke by lighting. Even bigger challenge was – to actually hike down with chains on wet rocks. But yes, I’m alive today. Again, I don’t want to discourage you from attempting this hike – but be careful and respect the chains, they are there to help you. After the hike, we rented socks and shoes for upcoming hike…the SUBWAY!! Lesson learned:

[1] Patience is a virtue…specially when you’re hiking to the Angel’s landing trail.

Day8: 05/11 – Subway is not new for me, I mean, I ride it every day to work in NYC ;-) But, this subway is special. We checked out of the hotel and headed towards the left-fork trailhead for the subway bottom-up hike. The trail is very primitive, not marked at all. But we were aware of it, and so we were prepared for this. Just the beginning ½ mile is steep, otherwise fairly ‘flat’ hike. But lots of rock scrambling and frequent river crossing…don’t worry, the water is not deep at all, and you probably would have water shoes. The subway is amazing place; I couldn’t believe how it’s created by water and wind alone. We started the hike around 9AM and finished by 5PM. Then, we started driving to LAS, as we had to catch early morning flight to JFK. That was a short stay at Springdale, but we liked the town along with the Zion itself. The town has lots of good options for dining. We liked Thai Sapa and café Soleil.

At the end of our 10 day trip (including flights), lesson learned is – the life is like an ice-cream…enjoy it before it melts!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,098 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

Nice report. Must have been interesting to be on top of AL in a heavy downpour. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there if lightning was present.

Liked reading the GC report too.

Any pics?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

Thanks for the great report!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

Great report. You saw some of the absolute best Zion has to offer. (and some of the worst, if you count being on top of AL in a thunderstorm!)

4. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, October 04, 2013
North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

@hopskipjump3, even we had an issue choosing which way to go at one point. Then we waited, if someone would be coming. After couple of minutes, a group of seniors (60+) came...and from their experience - they said,"Let's follow the way where we see some foot-prints."...and I felt stupid to not use my common sense ;-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

Then you just have to hope that whoever made the footprints were going the right way . . . :-) It does get a bit tricky figuring out which way to go at times.

7. Re: Trip Report - Zion hiking and the Subway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2014