We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping between Zion and Bryce

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Camping between Zion and Bryce

Hello, June of 2014 we are headed west from Florida on our Manifest Destiny. (name of our trip) lol Anyways, we plan on 2 nights at the Grand Canyon north rim and then will drive up to the Bryce/Zion area. We also plan on 2 nights there and will then head to Yosemite. My question is this. Is there a campground between the two parks anyone here could recommend? I see they are within driving distance from each other.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,016 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

Stay near each park to avoid commuting. You want to be in each park for sunset and sunrise, and in the case of Bryce the famous dark night skies. If you commute from someplace, you will need to get up incredibly early and drive to catch a sunrise and drive after dark after seeing a sunset.

If I were coming in June a year from now, here is what I would do. I would plan my trip around

A) The Grand Canyon Star Party or

B) the Bryce astronomy festival. They both take place in June. They are amazing, and if you time it right you may be able to do both.

But you will need reservation in the parks!

Edited: 12:59 pm, April 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,216 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

Agreeing. Don't try to compromise and commute from a central campsite. You'll lose out at both parks. Choose instead to stay inside or as close to the parks, even for a single night each.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

The standard advice is to stay at or near to each of the parks. That means for Zion stay at Watchman or South Campground. For Bryce stay at North or Sunset Campground.

Outside of the park at Zion, there is a campground in Springdale. It is affiliated with the Quality Inn. www.zioncamp.com Outside of Bryce, www.rubysinn.com has camping available as well.

If you are sill set on a location between the parks, there is a place North of Glendale on US89. It used to be the Glendale KOA, but is named differently now. I cannot recommend any of these places experience wise, as I do not camp. http://www.brycezioncampground.com/

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

I think sometimes on the forum, posters are not thinking of the hassles of packing up and unpacking a campsite. It is not like checking in and out of a hotel and depending on how much stuff you have, how far you have to walk from your car, and if it is raining or windy, it can be rather annoying and time consuming.

Ideally I would want to stay in both parks, but if camping, I might choose to stay in one of the parks and commute to the other. That way you at least get the benefits of being in one of them instead of losing out of both.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

My favorite place to camp is North Rim campground in Grand Canyon. Get a reservation there if you can (they can go fast though so do it as soon as you know your dates and the sites are available for reservations), you won't be disappointed.

Then another beautiful campground is the North Campground in Bryce. The problem there is for tents they are first come first served so you do need to arrive early. If you have an RV you can reserve.

Zion's campground are convenient but not especially super.

If for some reason you still want to stay in one place which can seem to be convenient, but in reality just adds driving time, then Kanab is the central spot. That campground just north of Kanab ,mentioned by widmarsh, that used to be a KOA and now is independent and called Bryce Zion Campground on hwy 89 is in one of the most scenic spots for a non-park campground I've ever seen and would be the spot I chose for a central base. Love the pink cliffs.

I must camp light. ( I just travel light I think). Setting up and pulling down a camp is not a big deal. Though I do think it is getting harder the older I get.

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

Thanks Nugget, thats my dilemma. Setting up and taking down can be a pain. Were gonna reserve spots at the North Rim in the GC and then probably split Zion and Bryce. An hour drive either way is not a big deal for us. We have a small camper we will be towing so I will reserve as much a possible. We also added another night in the Zion/Bryce area so we can take our time in the parks. I really appreciate all the info everyone here has given out. It is appreciated!!!

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

Good info!!!, Thanks kbecjeans!!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

I agree... we have a 5th wheel and packing it up, unhooking everything just to move to another park on the next day for just one night... not interested. If that was my only option, I'd choose to skip one of the parks. I too am looking at something centrally located between the two parks. Still looking... hahaha

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

We have a 30 foot 5th wheel and a toddler and had this debate. We decided to move the 3 times. Hassle of the move was worth it for the once in a lifetime experiences. Moving camp with a kid and a larger rig is a pain in the behind...but these particular locations just made it worth it to do the three moves, especially because of the sunrises and sunsets.

Also, I see you are wanting to go to Yosemite. Be ON IT for reservations. I was online right at the exact second each month for summer reservations and could not get a campsite. I had 6 people all on computers trying to help me as well. That will be your biggest camping challenge if you are coming in with a trailer/RV. Many sites in Yosemite are set up for tents only. For our size rig, there were only 6 spaces available in the whole valley to reseve. You can stay outside the park to camp...but you might need to arrange your travel itinerary on what you can get in Yosemite. :) The months of June, July and August were completely sold out within 2 minutes.

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping between Zion and Bryce

Jilspan. we will be making reservations at www.brycezioncampground.com. It appears they are between both parks and have a good rep. The view is not to bad either. It looks centrally located to Zion and Bryce. You can also hit some of the other parks from it too.

MunFam, appreciate the insight. I have heard of how hard it is to get reservations. I already reserved sites just out side of Yosemite as Plan B in case we don't get the sights we want in Yosemite. Its at Indian Flat Campground. They take reservations 1 year in advance. We will be trying for the Wawona campground in the park. We have a smaller camper so I hope that opens up more spots for us. Its only 15'.