We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

I am looking for some itinerary help. I have only 4 nights in early April. Flying into Las Vegas, arriving 9 AM. Plan to rent car and drive to Zion. During this short time frame would like to see and do as much as possible. We expect to do a lot of driving, after all, it's a weekend road trip. Would like to see Zion NP and Bryce Canyon, and anything else we can squeeze in. I realize Canyonlands is not in the area of Zion and Bryce, but wondering if I can squeeze it in too? Basically, we have from about starting on the road around 10 AM on a Friday, from Las Vegas till our 3 PM flight on Tuesday from Las Vegas. How much can we see and do during this four night, five day trip?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,801 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

You for sure should not consider Canyonlands with that amount of time. It will take half of your four days just to go there and back leaving you little time to see anything. Vegas is a poor gateway for Canyonlands. Here's a slightly different suggestion:

Friday - Arrive LAS; drive to Bryce

Saturday - Bryce in morning; drive to Zion in afternoon

Sunday - Zion

Monday - Zion; return to LAS

Bryce is an easy park to explore as you can basically drive up to a parking spot in early April and walk 100 feet to the edge of the canyon. Hiking is easy. You can absorb the park in a short amount of time.

Zion is the complete opposite. You really need to go on more extensive hikes to enjoy. Two nights will give you a full day plus a bit on the morning of your departure. Not a lot but you'll bring back a few memories.

The other suggestion I might make given your timeframe is to look at Arches/Canyonlands instead of Bryce/Zion. If you fly into SLC and drive the 3-1/2 hours to Moab you'll probably have a more diverse experience for the amount of time you have.

Have fun, it's all beautiful.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Great suggestions, I appreciate the reply. Actually, I have an extra day as we are departing LAS on Tuesday. So, would not need to return on Monday to LAS. It's an afternoon flight, so could easily overnight elsehwere Monday and return to LAS tuesday afternoon, but where would we spend Monday night? Again, would like to see and do as much as possible. Thanks.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

You ever been to Page and Lake Powell? Page, Zion and Bryce are all within two to three hours of each other. See Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend and the lake.

Page to Vegas is about 4.5 hours.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Page, Bryce, and Zion can be visited in any order, however organize your roadtrip to realize the majority of your time at Zion.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,755 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Here we go again...

With 4 days, Zion, Bryce and Page would be a full plan. I know you've been to Page before, but you didn't have enough time to see it on that trip either. If you want to skip Page, consider Zion, Bryce and then up UT12 to Torrey and Capital Reef. the best plan would be just Zion and Bryce in 4 days.

Canyonlands is way too far and you don't have enough time. Moab is the base for Canyonlands but also for Arches NP, Dead Horse Point SP and many more places. A future trip should include 4-6 days at Moab alone.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Just that you know. You'll lose one hour between NV and UT and gain one hour on the way back.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Great suggestions thus far. I'm from the "less is more" school and therefore sugest just sticking to Zion and Bryce Canyon. However, if you do want to add a destination, I would head up route 12 to Torrey (Page is also a great idea, but I think Page is a multi-day destination and therefore would not fit into this timeframe).

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Yes, Page is an excellent idea, but I have been there. Did a scenic river raft trip, visited the Dam, walked to the horseshoe bend. All was fantastic. Didn't see Antelope Canyon.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Hello RedRox, good to hear from you again, your comment: "Here we go again," cracks me up. lol And yes, you do indeed understand how we like to travel.

And much thanks to everyone for their excellent suggestions.

For the suggestions of places to visit, what areas should I be looking for with lodging? Stay in one location for a base, or differnet locations. We have no problem staying in different locations each night if needed.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help: Zion, Bryce Cyn., Canyonlands - 4 nights

Springdale for Zion, Ruby's for Bryce and maybe Austin's Chuckwagon in Torrey if you want to drive ut12. Zion and Bryce also have in park lodges but we never stayed there. Rather rustic.