We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Hi,

Real quick question/recommendation:

So I stay at Zion Lodge or stay outside the park in Springdale and jump on the shuttle? One night only...

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

I don't think you'd be disappointed at either, to be honest. If you want more "plush" accommodations at the end of your trip and sunset from the hottub, stay in Springdale. If your idea of luxe is to watch the sunrise in the park, stay at the Lodge. I'm normally a "sunrise in the park" kind of girl but we did the "sunset in the hottub" last November and, I have to say, it's a tough call!

Btw, I just noticed the "Lake Mead" for the last day... what are you planning to do and where are you planning to stay? You might just stay in Zion two nights. It's an easy drive to Las Vegas from Zion, even on the day of the flight out. Just a thought.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Hi everyone, thanks for the amazing response!!

On our planned road trip we are staying in GCNP hopefully at Angel Lodge, then over to Lake Powell for two days, then to Zion and then Bryce before heading to DV for the last two nights. Lake Mead is out.

Dining is not high on my list and as a surprise for my girlfriends 30th she is a massive massive fan on sunrise/sunset as well as beautiful landscapes.

I've looked at both the lodge and cable mountain and simply torn between in/out of the park. So many pros and cons to either. Looking back at the my notes and TA reviews Cable Mountain is currently first choice.

We're not heading over till October 2013 but as some on this thread know I like to plan ahead.

I'm also short on ideas for Bryce Canyon. All other accomodation for the trip looks and feels pretty good.

Edited: 6:17 pm, August 16, 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

>> I'm also short on ideas for Bryce Canyon. All other accomodation for the trip looks and feels pretty good.

Do you mean lodging at Bryce? If so, I would say hands down the Lodge in the park at Bryce. Accommodations outside of the park are a bit of a drive. Springdale (for Zion) is the only town outside of the park that I would consider.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

I thought the Ruby's complex for Bryce was fine and it's immediately outside the park with a shuttle stop right in front of the hotel. There are several different hotels/motels, even teepees and while they're not as luxe accommodations as you can find in Springdale they're perfectly fine if the lodge is full. You'll see them recommended many times here on TA. I would only stay at Ruby's or the Bryce Lodge, though. Wouldn't stay further out than that.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

First choice for Bryce as to be a cabin at the lodge in the park. Second choice a room in th lodge itself. After that, anywhere at Rubys depending on your budget and availability. The newest and nicest is Rubys BW Grand, but the original complex is fine.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Cable Mountain is a very nice place. Closest hotel to the park.Just steps to the entrance.Another place to look into is a riverside room at Desert Pearl.

You could do a sunset jeep tour outside Zion, since your GF is into sunsets.

www.zionjeeptours.com

While at Bryce, look into the night sky programs, either full moon or dark sky.

www.nps.gov/brca/

At DV. look into the Furnace Creek Inn. Its the high end of lodging there.But the FC ranch or Stovepipe Wells will be fine too.

Dantes view is an amazing view of the park.

Dantes View is in here.

https:/…

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Have you come across Stone Canyon Inn at Tropic?

A few other people outside of TA have mentioned it as well as the secret canyon hummer adventure. It would eat in to our time between Page and Bryce.

I think I'm finally starting to realise just how much there is to see and so!!

DV I think is still a must just for BadWater and Dantes Peak alone without doing any of the hikes mentioned on the NPS and Stovepipe Wells websites.

I'm 100% comfortable with staying in Vegas, GCNP and Page.

In Bryce my current feeling is to go with Stone Canyon Inn and the Ivy room or The lodge at Bryce Canyon and the western suite. (I would add I emailed them a week ago regarding a reservation and have not yet received anything)

In Zion cable mountain is my current preference

DV is Stovepipe wells and they have been very helpful via email as well.

In Page a B&B called Canyon Colors have been very proactive and the reviews are extremely positive. They are my favourite by far so far and will look to stay with them whilst in Page.

What'd you think?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

I had never heard of Stone Canyon Inn before, but I do see it gets good reviews here on TA.

The thing that can't be beat about Ruby's, though (except by the lodge in the park) is it's proximity to Bryce. You don't have to drive. It is literally right outside the gates and you can hop on the shuttle and go into the park.

So, for me, personally, I would be hesitant to give up that proximity for a longer drive. I'm not too interested in luxury, though, and Stone Canyon might offer more luxury type amenities than Ruby's. The Ruby's complex does have a lot of extra stuff, though—restaurant, general store, gift shops and "old west town", the rodeo, etc. It's just not super luxurious, although we did not stay at the newest hotel that RedRox recommends above, that might be for all I know.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

Hello, went with the lodge in the park as like you said its the proximity and travel time with only one day/night before driving to Zion it made sense.

Thank you!

20. Re: Zion Lodge or Springdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 17, 2013