We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion, Bryce and where else?

Wakefield...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zion, Bryce and where else?

We're planning a family trip (two adults, two teenage boys) to the Zion/Bryce area in August. I'm assuming that we can do a fair amount of hiking and other activities in those parks in three days. What other sites do you suggest we do in the remaining day and a half that we have? I was considering the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but looking at other posts has made me wonder if the long driving times would not be the best use of our time. There seem to be so many beautiful sites in the area but at this point I'm not sure what to do. We'll be flying in and out of Las Vegas, if that makes any difference in your suggestions. Thanks so much for any ideas.

Mentioned in this post
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

There's plenty for you to do right there. I wouldnt attempt the Grand for the reason you mention. Why waste time in the car if you enjoy hiking...then hike galore.You could spend some time doing the sites on the strip in Vegas. There's plenty to do there, too to eat up a day and night. The tour of the Hoover dam is very interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Hoover Dam
Hoover Dam
7,939 Reviews
Boulder City, NV
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

Accommodation in August might be harder to find than at other times of the year so it could be worth basing yourself in the pleasant town of Springdale which is right next door to Zion and taking day trips from there. The Desert Pearl seems to be the most popular lodging choice but there are plenty of others.

Not sure how many actual days in total you have but Zion could easily eat up two of them plus you have the day at Bryce which is a lovely 2 hour drive from Zion.

Other sights within a couple of hours drive include Snow Canyon SP near St George, The Kanab Canyons part of Zion, Cedar Breaks NM and Pipe Springs NM.

On the way to or from Vegas you could also divert to The Valley of Fire SP. The Hoover Dam is fascinating and an interesting man made contrast to all that natural beauty but it is 30 minutes or so south of Vegas and not on your direct way.

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time in this most beautiful part of the world.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,748 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Valley of Fire State Park
3,636 Reviews
Overton, NV
Hoover Dam
Hoover Dam
7,939 Reviews
Boulder City, NV
CA
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

With only a day and a half extra, I'd also just spend it in Zion and Bryce. You can easily find many hikes in both parks to keep you busy for 5 days. We can easily spend a week at a time in Zion.

If you get restless, I'd recommend a day trip from Bryce driving up Scenic Hwy 12 to Boulder, Utah and back. Maybe a side trip on the Burr Trail or a stop at Kodachrome Basin State park.

Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada has already been mentioned.

Utahtea

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Utah
Utah
United States
Burr Trail
Burr Trail
204 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Kodachrome Basin State Park
Kodachrome Basin State...
411 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

I agree that you might like to stop at Valley of Fire State Park. I would do it on my way to Zion...after Zion & Bryce nothing compares. Both times we have gone we landed in Vegas, got our car, drove to Valley of Fire, then to Zion. We based in Zion and made Bryce a day trip. It isn't a bad drive and it saved packing and unpacking each night. In Zion I would recommend the Canyon Overlook Trail. It has only a slight elevation gain, yet you get to see a canyon view and also the road you traveled winding up the side of the canyon, and you get the look down into a slot canyon. We also liked the Angel's Landing Trail. Go as far as Scout's Lookout at least!

However, if you do the drive to the north rim or to Page, the scenery along the way is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
3,636 Reviews
Overton, NV
Canyon Overlook Trail
Canyon Overlook Trail
692 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,458 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

What we did was go from Springdale to the Kolob section of Zion, up through Cedar Breaks National Monument and then over to Bryce. The road up to Cedar Breaks climbs into the mountains and has several overlooks that are breathtaking. We went in July and the 65 degrees at Cedar Breaks was a nice escape from the 110 degrees at Zion.

If you have a chance, hike the Narrows. We spent an entire day doing it. We rented boots, socks, and heavy duty sticks from the Zion Adventure Co for about $15 per person. It made all the difference in the world.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Breaks National Monument
Cedar Breaks National...
997 Reviews
Cedar City, UT
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,810 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Southwestern Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

Hey - come down the canyon to Cedar City! Our Tony award winning Shakespearean Festival is in full swing in August. I know you are probably thinking Shakespeare plays and teenagers don't mix but you might be pleasantly surprised. My husband developed a loathing for the Bard's works in high school thanks to a lame-o literature teacher but has thoroughly enjoyed attending the plays we have seen here. You can check out the schedule at www.bard.org - lots of other activities besides just plays (the greenshow, the royal feaste, etc.) We also have some great restaraunts (Milt's Stage Stop has the best prime rib ANYWHERE!) and a great downtown area with lots of fun little shops. Also Zion has a big screen theater where they show IMAX as well as hollywood release movies - your teens I'm sure would like that. Sitchback Grille in Springdale is fabulous - gotta eat there at least once during your stay!

Mentioned in this post
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

I concur with the Cedar City idea too. It's a different kind of good fun...

Mentioned in this post
Southwestern Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion, Bryce and where else?

oops I meant Switchback Grille - yum!

Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park