We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Angels Landing

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Angels Landing

Hi, I'm 66 and visiting Zion in April. I consider myself a good hiker. About 90% of my experience is in New England. The reviews of Angels Landing posted here seem rather daunting. Can anyone tell me how hiking Angels Landing compares to hikes in New England?

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Angels Landing

It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy, but I think the Knife's Edge on Katahdin might be the best comp.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Angels Landing

Thanks, ducs-of-hazard. That's very helpful. I haven't climbed katahdin in decades. The descriptions of Angels Landing seemed reminiscent of the knife edge.

Detroit
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Angels Landing

Ive never hiked NE but have hiked up angels landing a couple times. Getting to Scouts lookout is 90% of the distance and is rated a moderate to difficult hike. Its the last 10% up to angels landing that is the most difficult with chains most of the way up. This is where the narrow fin you have to cross and the sheer cliffs really come into play.

the total elevation gain is about 1500' with the last 500 or so coming in that last half to 3/4 mile up to angels landing if i recall correctly.

Boston
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Angels Landing

Seeing your from Bar Harbor, if you have done the trails in Acadia with the ladder rungs and some of those exposed edges I don't see you having any problems with Angels Landing. Seeing that your elevation at bar harbor is about 10' compared to the 4000' you might feel the elevation :) Good Luck!

5. Re: Compare Angels Landing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 25, 2009