We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

Glencoe IL
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

I'm kinda worried about being lost in the middle of nowhere (or, worse, broken down). Can we expect cell phone service between Zion and Mesa Verde CO? Thanks.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

why of course you can expect cell service between Zion and Mesa Verde - in at least two or three places! Ok, sorry - didn't mean to be flippant about it - but the simple fact is that there are many dead places in the canyon country of southern Utah - usually not for too terribly long on the major highways - but still, you can't count on it to work all of the time.

utah
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

Also depends on your carrier and where towers are. You will be on roaming also, can get expensive. Good thing is people here always stop to help! Unless you go way off road you should be ok.

Glencoe IL
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

Thanks for the info. It was pretty much as I expected. P.S. I don't have roaming charges but believe me, if I needed to call road service, I wouldn't care what it cost!

CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

My BIL and SIL have Cingular and they had NO SERVICE what so ever in this area. I have Verison and had mostly very good service but there were spots where there was no service.

Utahtea

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

As has been mentioned, it depends a lot on your provider and phone. If your phone can read an analog signal, you'll do a lot better, especially in open stretches. Generally speaking if you're in an area where you can see a long distance, then you have a decent chance of getting a cell signal. In more confined area such as canyons, or open areas where not even a small city is nearby, your chances are slim to none.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving all across southern Utah. Will my cell phone work?

We currently have Sprint--lousy coverage in the Southwest. We used to have Verizon--good coverage in the Southwest.

Unfortunately, we committed before we knew. :(