We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

Hamburg, New York
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

As a newbie to TA, I was just looking at the forums for all of the places we have been recently with Sedona, GC, Bryce & Zion being a trip we took last June. One of the Gems we discoverd was the Cottonwood Canyon Rd that cuts across the Grand Staircase North to South. We found it on accident driving up from GC to Mt Carmel. We stopped at the visitors center just past Lake Powell and the information man there said we should give it a shot.

Now do note this is a 30 mile dirt road that is really a dirt road... But our Pontiac G6 made it with some carful driving...

It was an amazing trip though with rock colors and formations that I can not even explain... Not to metion the thrill of the road and the adventure...

Make sure you have water etc.. as you are all by your self out there...

It's just a recoomendation for people looking for a fun adventure and curious if anyone else had done this too....

Steve

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

I've been on it a couple times and it is a great drive. I hope you stopped to see Grosvenor Arch. A little further south of that is the Coxscomb RIdge which also has some fun, short slot canyons in it. Our boys enjoyed exploring there.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

Cottonwood Canyon appears on some GPS devices too, a couple of weeks ago an 18 wheel driver followed his GPS directions and found himself stuck out there, they had to get a big rig tow truck in to pull him out. It was a mess!

Motorcyclists should be aware that there are some deepish sand areas that may cause problems for a heavy bike or inexperienced rider.

Don't use Cottonwood Rd if it is wet.

Hamburg, New York
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

Grosvner Arch was amazing... Most impresive one we saw all trip.

We were amazed to come out right at Bryce and the Mossy Cove...

We also did stop to help someone change a tire who happened to pass us going a bit to fast.... I guess he got his due!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

KillerBob, Google.maps also shows it as the most direct way between Tropic and Page. Hard to believe they would do that. I don't understand why the driver of an 18 wheeler would continue on the road once they realize it isn't a real highway.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

"I don't understand why the driver of an 18 wheeler would continue on the road once they realize it isn't a real highway."

Like so many people these days I guess he had become a slave to his GPS.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

I'm pretty sure a GPS is only as smart as the person wielding it and common sense should never be forsaken.

Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

never trust mapquest either. we got lost in ghetto of Washington DC by following a mapquest map. that was the maps fault not ours

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

I don't know which would be worse....heart of DC or stranded in the desert on Cottonwood Wash Road. Neither sound pleasant.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

Hi

Shortest driving time given from Tropic to Page is some 3 hours but driving Cottonwood Road would be 5 hours. So it's quite an effort.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cottonwood Canyon Rd in Grand Staircase....

"I don't know which would be worse....heart of DC or stranded in the desert on Cottonwood Wash Road. Neither sound pleasant."

But if you could pick where to be stranded .... Cottonwood Wash Road, hands down.