We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

We have made most of our reservations with a bit of flexibility and would like some opinions before we finalize things. We will be driving from the SF area of CA in May 2018. We are a couple in our 60s, active hikers, and will have bikes with us. Traveling in a 24 ft. motorhome. Here is our plan as of now:

From SF area spend 2 nights in Nevada RV Parks on our way to Moab.

2 nights Moab, Canyonlands RV Park Resort

3 nights Arches, Devil's Garden Campground

1 night Torrey, Sand Creek Campground, visiting Capitol Reef

3 nights Bryce, Ruby's RV Campground

3 nights Zion, Watchman Campground

2 nights Page Waweap RV Campground

4 nights Grand Canyon, Mathers Campground. Plan to hike a lot (not to bottom, have done that twice already!

1 night Las Vegas (may see the Love show)

1 night Lone Pine, CA

4 nights Yosemite. Can't make those reservations until Jan. 15.

Would love advice on the length of time we are in each spot. We are retired and in no rush. We are fine relaxing in a nice spot reading all day as well as taking all day hikes. Love the idea of not being in a hurry but don't want to spent too much time if it is not necessary. We may be able to shift some reservations but not Arches, or Watchman. Any advice?

10 replies to this topic
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

I think the contributors here have developed the right direction for you to follow. Looks like your itinerary has not changed much since your initial queries.

I still think three nights is too much in Devils Garden CG. Not to say that you could not spend two full days in the park hiking and relaxing. But if you want to do something outside of the park during your stay, you have about 18 miles or so of park route(at 30mph) between you and the highway.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

As Widmarsh said, long time at Devil's Garden. But if you're just cool on hanging out it will be fine. It's a bit odd to have two different spots for your time in Moab but you seem to have a proper sense of purpose. Other lengths of stay are OK. Maybe take one out of Bryce and add to Torrey.

Have fun.

utah
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Canyonlands RV in Moab is a lousy campground. However, in an RV you may not care because you won't need to use their nasty bathrooms, etc. It also has a good location on the north end of town - it's just run down and packed like sardines.

I think you are OK with 3 nights in Devil's Garden. To fill 2 full days in Arches make sure you sign up early for fiery furnace.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,816 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

I would take a night from Bryce and add it to your Torrey stay. There's lots of great hiking in Capitol Reef. What are your plans for the Page area that you need 2 nights there?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Thank you all. I think the start of the trip in Moab will give us a chance to see Canyonlands and some of the scenic drives. The 2 full days in Arches at Devil's Garden will be for hiking the Furnace and another long day hike without ever leaving the Park as all other sights we will have seen during our 2 nights in Moab. We are fine just hanging out and enjoying the scenery too! We are now considering adding a night in Torrey, for Capitol Reef, and taking away a night in Bryce. In Page we want to do the Antelope Canyon hikes, and spend most of one day on the water, either a tour or renting a boat. Also seeing the big dams. We might be taking away 1 night in the Grand Canyon, and adding 2 nights in Sedona based on advice on the Grand Canyon forum. Have checked out Rancho Sedona for an RV Park since we have a motorhome. We might skip Las Vegas (really didn't want to go there anyway!) and add a night or two on the way to Yosemite from Sedona. Not sure we can add any more nights to Sedona but 2 is a good start. Thank you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,816 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Adding a night in Torrey is a good idea.

There's one dam in the Page area. You'll drive right in front of the dam. It's a 15 minute look/see photo op unless you take the tour.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Dovey,

Taking a nt from Bryce and adding one to Capitol Reef was also my first thought. I love hiking at both, but there is a lot more hiking to do a Capitol Reef than at Bryce. Plus May might still be a bit cool at Bryce to want to spend 3 nts. I used to go to Bryce frequently on Mem Day weekend from SoCal. Its was usually just right temp wise by then.

Maybe you would enjoy doing the Great Basin Natl Park on your way back to Yosemite?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

I would do 2 night torrey 2 nights Bryce, 2 night Zion, 2 night Page, then 3 nights south rim.

uncertain when Tioga pass will open. I would instead after grand canyon just do 40/58/99 to SEKI then Yosemite

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

Thanks Dan. We is what we plan as of now: beginning May 14, 2 nights Moab, 3 nights in Arches at Devil's Garden campground, 2 nights in Torrey, 2 nights in Bryce, 3 nights in Zion at Watchman Campground, 2 nights Page, 3 nights Grand Canyon at Mather Campground, 3 nights Sedona at Rancho Sedona...then form 40/15 head up either 395 or 99 in California depending on the Tioga Road situation, stopping one or two nights on the way. What is SEKI?

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon

SEKI = Sequoia & Kings Canyon Nat'l Parks

Reply to: Itinerary check: Arches, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted