We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

We will be making a reservation for Watchman soon when our dates come up on the reservation system. Unfortunately B Loop will be closed for construction over our dates so that leaves Loop A. Most people recommend sites near the river but I am wondering about road noise form outside the park. And how important is a shady spot in late May? Looking at sites A5, A9, A13, A23, A24, or A29. Any advice? Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

In late May you will mostly likely only hear the roar of the river during spring runoff. A shady spot will be best, but it's been a few years since I camped at Watchman and I can't say what the Cottonwood status is at the moment. You will be lucky to get a reservation at all. Those few spots will go FAST. You are way over thinking this.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Yes, don't over think this. With an entire loop closed during your visit, the other spots are going to go fast. I'd take trees over the river.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Thank you both. I agree trees are important! Was just wondering if anyone out there had been multiple times and had a favorite spot or area. We are pretty good at getting online the moment sites come available. We were able to get a great spot in Zion's Devil's Garden Campground and that place only has 53 sites in total. So if I am prepared to be diligent and go online the second they come available I am pretty sure I can get one of the sites I have been putting on my list. Another question...are 3 nights sufficient to see the National Park or should we add a night? Thanks!

utah
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

IMO being right next to the river in Watchman is magical - A13 looks great. It's been long enough I can't remember the layout for sure, but I think that end of the A loop is quite nice - lots of mature trees - if my memory is correct.

The only downside is you will have a lot of foot traffic on the Pa'Rus trail - if privacy from passerbys is a major concern you may want to be away from the river.

Edited: 1:12 pm, November 20, 2017
pacific wonderland
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

I'm not sure if you have seen this site, but it shows photos of the campsites.

https:/…

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Thanks for the photo website. I was looking at that earlier for the Grand Canyon and didn't think to see if they had Watchman. The photos are helpful. Though it looks like they were taken in winter as every tree is bare. So a little tough to determine how much shade a site will have. But it did help give me an idea of the basic look of each site. Thanks!

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

We were very lucky to snag a site in Watchman for 5 nights in May. The process is very stressful as all sites disappear moments after coming available. May eventually only stay for 3 nights but wanted the flexibility. Have to figure out what hikes, and activities to do while there. We will be in Bryce before Zion and then Page, AZ. and the Grand Canyon after Zion.

utah
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Nice - if you really enjoy hiking 5 nights is great - otherwise it could be a bit long. Unfortunately May is bad timing for the Narrows, but you'd have time to hike all the major trails in the main Zion canyon and have time to venture out to Kolob or East Zion for a day or 2. https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

Congratulations! I'm very glad you were successful. Being on line the split second reservations open is how it has to be done. Were you able to get a spot of your choice or did you just grab what was available?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?

We were very lucky. My husbanding I had a list of the 7-8 sites that were coming available and we each had our own list of 3-5 each. We went down our list as our first choices were taken. Within 2 minutes all sites were taken. We kept checking back within that first hour and one site became available. It was one of our last choices but with only 30 spots total available in A loop we grabbed it. I think someone probably had partners trying to book and perhaps were lucky to get more than one site and then canceled one of them. We are very glad to have a site in Watchman and will likely spend most of our days out an about so where it is located is not really crucial.

As for activities why is May bad timing for Narrows? Too much water? I am sure there is plenty to keep us busy for 3-4 days. Thanks.

Edited: 1:10 am, November 23, 2017
Reply to: Favorite RV campsites at Watchman campground?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted