We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this all do able in one day please ?

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Is this all do able in one day please ?

On 27th June this year we will be coming from Bryce, stopping off at Canyon Overlook on the way, and arriving at Springdale early evening.

This will give us almost all of the 28th at Zion, as we will be starting the day around 6am we would like to take the trail to Angels Landing first. Then after a late breakfast or early lunch hike to Obersavtion Point and back.

If we have time before heading off towards Vegas we would like to take a quick look at the Emerald Pools.

Do you think it's possible to do Angels Landing and Observation Point in the same day ? We are pretty fit and used to doing a fair bit of walking. Also we sometimes have problems following some trails what would be a good map/book to help navigate the trails in zion please ?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,355 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Observation Point
Observation Point
595 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

Garyddd73: First off, I believe doing the Canyon Overlook Trail on the 27th is a very good idea. Staying in Springdale and leaving at 6 a.m. is also a great choice. The Angels Landing trail will get busy as the day goes on. If you start at 6 a.m. you should plan to get to the Grotto Trailhead around 7 a.m. to begin your hike. Angels Landing, I have read, takes about 5 hours for a decently conditioned individual. You said that you are pretty fit, so I would say you can probably manage it in about 4 hours. Keep in mind, the amount of time it takes largely depends on how quickly you do the 1/2 mile trail from Scout Lookout to the top of Angels Landing. This narrow, exposed section makes countless hikers turn around because they are afraid of the 1,200 foot dropoff. Don't try to breeze right through this section. Take your time and watch your footing because there have been several people that have fallen to their deaths from Angels Landing. So, let's say you end the Angels Landing hike around 11:30. Then, you will want to head back to the Zion Lodge area for a bite to eat. Let's say it is about 1:30 by the time you have arrived at the lodge, had some lunch, looked around a bit, and arrived at the Weeping Rock Trailhead. So, you begin the hike to Observation Point at 1:30. I have also read that Observation Point takes an average of 5 hours. This one is more strenuous than Angels Landing (gains 2,148 feet in 8 miles roundtrip, while Angels Landing gains 1,488 feet in 5 miles roundtrip). It should take you about 4 1/2 hours for this one. So, that puts you back at the trailhead around 6:00. I don't know if this gives you adequate time to do Emerald Pools before heading to Las Vegas. If you don't mind getting to Las Vegas around 10:00 p.m., then I would say go ahead and do Emerald Pools as well. If you have enough time after doing the Canyon Overlook trail on the 27th, then I would say try doing the Emerald Pools as well that evening. For a great guidebook for hiking in Zion, I would recommend Erik Molvar's Hiking Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks. You can get a new one from a seller on amazon.com for 5 USD or a used one for 3 USD. You can check out this book at:

amazon.com/Hiking-Bryce-Canyon-National-Park…

It has all of the hikes you are considering. BTW, I believe you are planning on doing 4 of the most incredible hikes in Zion NP, so I commend you! I am planning on spending 3 days in Zion this summer. I was going to do 17 miles on the West Rim Trail (including Angels Landing), 8 miles in the Zion Narrows (from Temple of Sinawava to Big Springs), and 21 miles on the East Rim Trail (including Observation Point). I was also going to squeeze in the Canyon Overlook Trail one of the days. However, I will be having surgery on my ACL next week and am not sure how much or even if I can hike these trails. I will have to wait and see. Youth and strong leg muscles should benefit me, but with any such injury, time will have to tell. BTW, for the best site on the web for hikes in Zion, see Joe Braun's site. INCREDIBLE....

http://citrusmilo.com/zionguide/

Hope this helps!!!

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Overlook Trail
Canyon Overlook Trail
683 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Zion Lodge
Zion Lodge
2,114 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Observation Point
Observation Point
595 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,355 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
West Rim Trail
West Rim Trail
47 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
East Rim Trail
East Rim Trail
17 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

Thanks TNsoccer07 for your very useful info especially about doing Emerald Pool on the way in as well on the 27th, hopefully we can try to get away from Bryce a little earlier to do this.

As there are three of us going once we get to Scouts Landing we will have to see if we want to go right to the top or not, hopefully I will try at least and as you say it's more important to take care and make a proper descent rather than rush and take the quick route !!!!!

I have just ordered the book you suggested thanks looks pretty helpful, I have the Falcon book on Yosemite already which is a big help.

I had just found Joe Brauns site which along with other resources made me want to stray longer at Zion. I have 25 days on holiday in total and am starting in San Francisco for a week before going down to LA, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia before back to San Francisco and then sadly home. you guys are so lucky to live in such a beatiful country that doesn't have houses built on every spare piece of land.

I would of liked to of spent longer in Zion afte rdoing a bit more research but it's a great excuse to come back again soon.

Good luck with the surgery hopefully everything with have healed in time for you to do everything you want to.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

Wow, just reading where you plan on going made me laugh. I am planning on flying into Las Vegas, driving through Death Valley on the way to Yosemite, spending 3 days in Yosemite, then spending 1 1/2 days in Sequoia/Kings Canyon, a day in Grand Canyon, and then either 3 days in Zion or 2 days in Zion and 1 day in Bryce. In short, I am planning on going to every place you are going, except I may not go to Bryce. The only difference is that you have 25 days and I only have 9. You will be able to have a great experience in the parks. About saying that we live in a beautiful country without house on every spare piece of land...well, at least we have that in some parts of the country. It's pretty much like how you describe England if you are in the cities in California or the eastern seaboard. BTW, just out of curiosity, have you ever visited Wordsworth's home. I've heard about the walks you can take there, and they sound really interesting. If you would like any recommendations about Bryce, Yosemite, and (maybe) Sequoia/Kings Canyon I can help you out some. You can send one of those new personal messages if you want. It sounds like you are in for an absolutely splendid vacation! After this, you will have to get to some of the national pakrs in the Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountain states, specifically Glacier : ) if you haven't been already. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

You can do Angels and Observation in one day if you take the alternate route on observation. Go out of the park on the zion mt. carmel highway and take a left up to the zion ponderosa ranch. Ask them where to go for the Ob. Point hike and they will tell you. This way the hike is flat most of the way and is much shorter, only about 2 miles. The highway takes you up on cedar mountain above it so is already at the same elevation as Ob. Point. It leads to the same exact spot as the trail from the bottom of the canyon without hiking up at all.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

fivekidtravel: Is this road paved, unpaved, or 4WD? Also, is the public actually allowed to take this route? I thought for some reason that visitors were not allowed to drive up this way to access the East Rim Trail.

Mentioned in this post
East Rim Trail
East Rim Trail
17 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Hawaii
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

Gary,

I notice you say you are fit and used to doing a fair bit of walking. But unless you are used to hiking and the kind of elevation changes you will be encountering you may tire or run out of time(even taking out the elevation change it's a fair distance in the heat). You are also coming from England to an area that is much hotter and dryer than you are probably used to. Please do not underestimate how strenuous these hikes can be...while I have never personally done them I do hike a fair bit and since I live in Hawaii I get to see how the different climate (in my case hotter and humid) take it's toll on people in better shape than me but just not used to the conditions.

Doesn't hurt to make plans just remember you're out in the wild and not a road where you can just turn the car around.

Stay safe and have fun!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

TNSoccer07,

Sorry to hear about your ACL. I tore mine playing basketball around...well a long time ago :) Anyway it really put me down for quite some time, take it easy and definitely try a pair of walking sticks when you start hiking again...yeah I know they look stupid and not very macho looking but believe me when I say they help take the stress off your knee!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

The info on elevation and climate is important to consider. At the end of June, you will have temperatures close to or over 37 Celsius. And the average humidity will be under 10 percent. So, please do plan the strenuous parts of your hikes in the early morning. And remember that you need to take (and drink) at least a liter of water on every hike. You will not notice that you are perspiring because the perspiration will evaporate very quickly so it's very easy to get dehydrated. Don't worry about following the trails. There will be enough people on the Angels Landing and Observation Point trails that you will have no trouble knowing where the trail is. But a guide book is still a good idea because it may give you some alternative hikes to consider.

Emerald Pools on the first day is a great idea. It won't get dark until after 9:00p.m. so if you have the time, it is a wonderful hike.

Mentioned in this post
Observation Point
Observation Point
595 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,355 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

Thanks for the info guys have decided to make a change in our plans. We are going to leave Bryce late morning and arrive early afternoon which will allow us to do either Angels Landing or Observation Point on that afternoon. The next day we will do the hike we didn't choose the day before plus Emerald Pools then leave late afternoon.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Observation Point
Observation Point
595 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,355 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
10. Re: Is this all do able in one day please ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 28, 2009