We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion without hiking

Suzhou, China
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zion without hiking

Hi,

I am taking my mother and her husband to Zion next month from Las Vegas. He has cancer and doesn't have a lot of energy. They are very excited to visit Zion, but we probably won't be able to do much hiking. What would be a good one day trip to Zion that doesn't include hiking? Everything that I have read on here recommends some type of hike. Can we enjoy the park without hiking?

USA
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion without hiking

It's really pretty driving in Kolab Canyon. There is also an old ghost town called Grafton near the entrance to Zion, if you are into that. I'm sure Zion destination experts will have some other ideas. And Bryce is a bit far for a day trip, but if you have time, Bryce and Hwy 12 is beautiful. Bryce has a lot of lookout points that don't require a lot of walking, but have incredible views with very unique and amazing scenery.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,139 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion without hiking

It is not necessary to hike at Zions to have a great visit. You'll ride the mandatory shuttle in the valley and get off at each stop. You can wander or just relax and contemplate what you're seeing. Drive yourselves to East Zion and possibly to Kolob too. You'll see plenty from the car, and have several opportunities to stop, park, and enjoy the viewpoints in those sections too.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion without hiking

Yes - take the shuttle from beginning to end - and just stare out the big windows! I always enjoy this.

Stop at the Lodge and in front are some rocking chairs under the shade. I can sit there for hours and just stare at the surrounding mountains. It's gorgeous.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion without hiking

Sign up for a Ranger Tour..... you'll get the information as you ride, but just don't need to climb to any heights if it is offered.... Agree also that time at the Lodge is good.....

www.virginia2utah.blogspot.com

Important, depending on the time of year, to sign up early for ranger led tour....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion without hiking

Shuttles come along fairly frequently, so you could get off and stay at a particular stop until the next shuttle came along or stay longer. And the lodge is a good place to look around and get something to eat and drink.

utah
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion without hiking

Zion is a simple park to visit because you have to take a shuttle to get into the main area of the park. It can definitely be enjoyed without hiking.

It's about 1 1/2 hours round trip to ride the shuttle through the canyon. There are about 9 stops - you can get off on as many or as few as you like. Most of these stops have trails, but you don't need to hike any of them. There is a lodge to relax at - it has food and restrooms.

There is a vistor's center and a museum. There are 2 paved trails that are completely flat - Riverwalk & Pa'rus. I believe, you could take a wheelchair on them, but you'd want to double check with the park.

The biggest trick is that parking is very limited - if you have a handicap designation it may help. You want to get there early if possible.

7. Re: Zion without hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2018