We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early April weather

east hampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
early April weather

Can anyone give me an idea of the 'average' weather conditions in Zion NP late March/early August? Also, is it true that the weather is varied among all the area parks at any given moment?

Thinking of a spring break trip to Zion and/or Bryce and/or some of the other area parks with our 7 and 10 year old daughters, but we're used to tropical vacations that time of year and I'd just like to know what to expect.

Any suggestions for such a trip with kids would be greatly appreciated. We've never been out that way before.

Thanks in advance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: early April weather

Expecting you meant late March/early April????

That is my favorite time to visit Zions. It is not too hot, the trees are in spring green and some flowers out and it really is gorgeous. That being said April is a very iffy month. It could be gorgeous or it could be raining. Though rain in Zions is also an amazing experience with all the waterfalls off the cliffs. Bring light rain jackets, and plan on layers....with a heavy kind of sweater/jacket just in case or for evenings when it will be colder. We have camped out there at Spring Break (middle March) and needed coats at night. So I'm thinking 40's at night and up to 70's in the day is probable (though obviously that totally depends on the weather).

Since Bryce is quite a bit higher in elevation than Zions the weather there is usually always colder. It also has a much later spring. Early April you might still find snow on the trails. This year was a whopper for snow in the south and though they haven't had much since it could linger in the mountains where Bryce is. And yes it could be bright and sunny at Zions and snowing in Bryce.

I don't know which other area parks you might be referring to? Capitol Reef is about like Bryce, Grand Canyon North also in the mountains with snow on the ground likely.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: early April weather

The last poster was a bit confused. Snowfall is below normal at Bryce again this winter, as it has been for most of the past several winters. (There were a couple of storms that really wallopped Cedar City and got a lot of press, this is why the poster has the mistaken impression, I'm guessing). If you look at measuring stations in the region, most are at 60% of normal.

Nonetheless, there could be snow on the ground at Bryce Canyon in early April. Capitol Reef is at lower elevation than Bryce, but higher than Zion. It doesn't get nearly as much snow as Bryce does. North Rim of the Grand Canyon is still closed at the time of year you mention.

Zion climate info can be found here:

www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut9717

In general, it's a great time of year to go, though it can get pretty chilly at night. And if you'll be in the area over Easter weekend, make reservations early, as a lot of locals visit at that time.

Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: early April weather

We are actually traveling to Zion and Bryce in mid-March and would appreciate any advice as to hikes to take or avoid and/or sites to see at that time of year. The Narrows is probably out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: early April weather

Hi, no I wasn't confused, just uninformed as to current conditions. Sorry. There was an article in the paper this week about how they have had to cancel several events at the Winter Festival in Bryce due to no snow. Not withstanding current conditions, that could certainly change with one snowstorm.

MHask. Yah, Narrows would most likely be too cold. However as long as there is no ice on any of the trails then they would all be good. I love the Queens Garden/ Navaho Loop trail in Bryce. In Zions I think you would be good on any of them...I don't think there is one that doesn't give you a wonderful sense of the beauty of the place.

Cheers

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: early April weather

March is pretty unpredictable except that it would be safe to say that it won't be tropical! Plan on very cool/chilly nights - cool days. Bryce would be much colder - jacket weather. You might still see patches of snow there - but it's hard to find anything much more beautiful than red rock with snow. And your photos would definitely be unique!

I'd bring mostly long pants and long sleeved T shirts with maybe a short sleeved T shirt and one pair of shorts each.

Zion will be warmest, Bryce coldest, Arches or Capitol Reef in between, but all of them will require jackets. It would be amazing if the temperatures at Zion got higher than low 70s and upper 60s is probably more likely.

6. Re: early April weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 23, 2009