We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

Alaska
Level Contributor
228 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

My husband's co-worker said that McCarthy has a great 4th of July parade and old fashioned games and things for kids. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. Anyone know if there are events for the toddler bracket? Should I bother with the 4th of July crowds? Are the holiday events really special? Or should we go on another day when things would be less crowded?

Also, is there a nice tent/car camping spot in McCarthy? We don't have a camper so would need a space to pitch a tent but would like to keep the car close.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

Here's a few places talking about the 4th in McCarthy:

anchoragepress.com/food_and_drink/brew_revie…

wastelandhop.com/2012/…

www.mccarthylodge.com/galleries…

McCarthy, Alaska
Level Contributor
178 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

The 4th is really fun and certainly suitable for kids of all ages (and adults :). There are some games for younger kids, although I'm not sure about toddlers. The parade (which starts at noon) is especially fun. I would definitely recommend it but it's up to you about the crowds. Crowds are relative (we probably have only about 500 people in town!) but it's the most you'll ever see here...

Gaia Marrs

St. Elias Alpine Guides

McCarthy, Alaska

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

Never been there. But you should read "The Road to McCarthy" by Pete McCarthy. Guaranteed to make you want to be there. He was a travel writer who wrote two books on his travels following his family roots. The other one was "McCarthy's Bar". And I have been there. (Castletownbere, Co. Cork, Ireland.)

4. Re: McCarthy 4th of July Events for Young Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 14, 2014