We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

I am planning on going to McCarthy and Kennicott in May this year and am searching for accommodation. Prefer something on the cheaper side, I dont need the flash stuff. Traveling by myself and hostel or backpackers is fine - or B and B's. Has anyone had recent experience of such places here. I will probably stay 3 full days so four nights.

Thanks and look forward to replies

Lorna

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Hi Gaia,

Well thank goodness for you! I was unaware that McCarthy and Kennicott basically dont open until the 21st. I have given specific dates to the places I made inquiries from and no one thought to tell me that they arent open, even parts of their own businesses. It makes it so much more difficult to plan a trip and make bookings when people dont really take notice of what you have written. If I had already book a car it could have been even worse.

I might have to try and reverse my journey if other stuff the other way is open.

Initially I am going on the Early Wildlife and Spring Birding trip out of Cordova with Hugh Rose and Discovery and arrive back in Anchorage on the 14th May hence wanting to come to McCarthy then. It just made sense to do it that way. Thank goodness for you! Whew!

I will have to go through the information I got from Hugh and see if the places he suggested are open this early.

Love all the information about the glacier, and other things to do. Especially would have loved to do one of the options for Chitistone however I have to be down in Denver then and I cant change that due to a trip arranged by and with friends down there.

I have made notes of your suggestions Gaia and will certainly be in touch.

Thanks so much for all your help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Yes, the mill is the big red building that goes "up the hill in layers" as you said. The mine itself is way up the mountain!

Much of Alaska doesn't "open" until May 20 or even later. I know the first shuttle bus into Denali NP is on May 20th, and even then only to Toklat. Denali would be well worth visiting as well, especially that time of year when there are not as many tourists. Sure, you can only ride to Toklat, but that is still a nice stretch. And you can always get off the bus and hike a bit further than that if you want.

John

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Thanks John, that's the place I wanted to visit. Thanks so much.

It looks like I might have to reverse this trip and head up to Denali first. I think that it is open to private vehicles prior to the 20th as far as Teklanika so at least that would be good if it is so. I will try some more research on that. I dont want to hang around in Anchorage from the 14th when my trip finishes until the 21st. Its too much wasted time. Might post on Denali and ask or go to their website too.

Your help is much appreciated.

McCarthy, Alaska
Level Contributor
179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Hi Lorna,

Glad I could help! Just to clarify, there may be places in the Kennicott Valley that are open before the 20th (I think McCarthy Lodge usually opens sooner and the Kennicott River Lodge may as well), but since we have such a small infrastructure, it's kind of hard to get around and do what you want to do before everyone is open!

Good luck with shifting your plans around let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Gaia Marrs

St. Elias Alpine Guides

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Hi Gaia,

Thanks I have been in touch with Kennicott Lodge too, it wasnt the place who didnt look at my dates by the way.

I think its probably no point coming so soon as you say it wont be easy to get around.

Once again thank goodness you were on the ball and let me know!

Thank you.. will take up your offer and let you know if any more questions, much appreciated.

Washington
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Stay at the Kennicott River Lodge! It is on the river before McCarthy. Nice and affordable.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

>>It looks like I might have to reverse this trip and head up to Denali first. I think that it is open to private vehicles prior to the 20th as far as Teklanika so at least that would be good if it is so.

I read just today in an article in the Fairbanks newspaper that the road into Denali will only be open to mile 25 starting sometime in early May through May 19 in order for the work crew to renovate the Tek rest stop. So you might not be able to drive quite as far this year if you go in May (the road is open now to mile 30 and will remain so until that closure for renovation, subject to weather).

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

Thank you Bunny. Havent got any further with my plans at present - just been too busy. Got to get into it now.

Cheers and thanks again

19. Re: Accomodation McCarthy or Kennicott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 04, 2010