We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trails NOT to take - fear of heights

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
129 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
trails NOT to take - fear of heights

Going to the park this Memorial day for 3 full days. I had considered Old Rag, from what I read physically we would be able to do it. But (again from the reviews) apparently there are places with drop offs... I'm the only with fear of heights in our group which is two of us in the 40's and boys 10 and 14. We'll probably do White Oaks from the outside of the park trailhead for one full day. I'm thinking Little Stony Man, Dark Hollow, Rose River, Mary's Rock for the other two days. Would you advise against any of these hikes? We all would love a scramble (and the kids would probably be bored if there is none), but it would be hard for me to watch the kids being near edges. We will be staying in Culpeper - should I look for any other hikes outside of the park?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trails NOT to take - fear of heights

Little Stony Man is short but steep, nice views, and spot at top to take a break, it's high but doesn't have sheer drop-offs that I recall. Mary's Rock is a beautiful steep trail, sometimes rocky on trail, rocky at summit. There are spots at summit that have good footing and not so close to edge but other spots on rocks and boulders with fairly dangerous drop-offs. My avatar is from Mary's Rock. Dark Hollow Falls, no problem except for crowds; Rose River Loop is beautiful wooded and water trail, no high problems.

Consider Blackrock Summit, it's a moderate hike and you come upon the trail with narrow but decent footing along a mountainside with large boulders and wonderful views, you can stop there and return or continue for a longer hike on Trayfoot. Don't do it if you think kids will make you uncomfortable by climbing on rocks. It's best to stay on the trail anyway, snakes, easy to have an accident on rocks, etc. There are detailed descriptions and photos on virginiatrailguide.com The Blackrock Summit trail is contained in the Trayfoot Mountain description under the trail index for Shenandoah National Park.

Many of the trails fade in and out of cell reception, may want to turn off cell or use airplane mode so it's not using up the battery searching and possibly dead if you need it.....from a voice of experience:)

Hope this helps

Boston...
Level Contributor
129 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trails NOT to take - fear of heights

yes it does, a lot! Looks like we can follow my plan. I did not know about the Blackrock Summit, it does look interesting. The kids always find boulders to climb on, I'll keep them close if we go to Mary's rock, thanks for the warning!

3. Re: trails NOT to take - fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, May 21, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...