We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

We 60 something adults have 2 full days(1 overnight along the way) to drive south from Catonsville Md. to Floyd, VA. We are staying 3 nights in Floyd with friends and will sight see for 2 days from that area. We then have 1 full day to drive back to north of Baltimore. Focus only on the western part of Virginia (no DC)for this trip.

I'm seeking suggestions for an itinerary.There is SO much to see and do, and in a perfect world more time. It's OK that Less is More.

We enjoy hikes(for this trip up to 3-4 miles), gardens, and civil war stuff(my husband). We are from the Pacific Northwest, and have beautiful trees, mountains and vistas's here. I've got great Virginia maps, and the state guide, but seeking....Oh- an interesting itinerary for this short time.

Thank you for your help!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

For hiking, consider these...........

Rocky Knob area, convenient to Floyd, hike as much as you want and return,

nps.gov/blri/…20KNOB.pdf

New River Trail State Park, several sites along the trail are only 30-40 minutes from Floyd, hike or bike, mostly easy, gentle trail along the New River. Trail is scenic, especially look at section from Fries (pronounced "freeze") to Fries Junction, Draper area, and Foster Falls area. If you have a 2nd vehicle, you can leave one at your stopping point to avoid retracing your steps.

www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/new.shtml

I often consult the Virginia Trail Guide for hiking ideas....

http://virginiatrailguide.com/trail-index/

Enjoy the music in Floyd and area trails.

Hope this helps

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

Thanks for your info on the Floyd area.

I'm really interested, though, in other peoples take for the 'drive and explore part' in between Baltimore and Floyd (via the western part of the state of Virginia). With limited time, 2 days drive down (1 over night along the way), then a few days later, return with a 1 day drive back

Any top suggestions for us-hike, garden, civil war active seniors?

Thanks!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

About 3.5 hours from Baltimore (traveling I81) is Crabtree Falls. Take the Steeles Tavern exit and follow Rt56. It's a beautiful spot and you can take a short, easy stroll to view the falls, then begin hiking up through a series of switchbacks, moderate/moderate+ in difficulty, but go as much or little as you desire. It's a nice leg stretcher to the falls and good lunch spot.

virginiatrailguide.com/2009/…

Hope this helps

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
984 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

We just drove a part of that stretch of I-81 this week. Lots of battlefields--here is a link:

http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/

We also really enjoyed the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton. It shows farms at different points in history and highlights the different groups of people who have settled in Virginia. It is wonderfully close to I-81 and would be a nice 2-3 hour sojourn. The Depot Grill in Staunton is also a nice place to eat dinner.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

I second the Frontier Culture Museum. Also the Depot Grill. Great spots.

6. Re: 2days drive, Baltimore to Floyd, 1 day drive Floyd Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 22, 2014