We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chincoteague to Front Royal

boston
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chincoteague to Front Royal

Will this work? Please suggest the best route. Tuesday morning, plan to leave Chincoteague Island drive south across the famous Chesapeake Bay bridge then over to Skyline Drive. We have a rental car we need to return to BWI, before we take the train into DC. We will be leaving Tuesday morning, August 20th. Should we go all the way to Rockfish Gap, or is there another starting point? We are 2 adults, 2 teens. We have a hotel at Dupont Circle for Tuesday night. We are hoping to see deer and beautiful scenery. No bear sighting required!

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

Probably not a good idea Your proposed route going south over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel then onto Shenandoah National Park,. to Front Royal, Then to BWI is over 400 miles. This will take over 9 hours driving time with everything going right. It does not take into account stopping for Fuel, Food or Sightseeing. Nor does it account for traffic delays due to times of day or accidents ( depending on time of day, the Hamptor Roads Bridge Tunnel backs up. the Interstates around Richmond, WAshington, D.C., and I-95 leading to BWI can be a major pain. This would be a great route if you had more time, Especially if you had more time to visit alot of the area on the way.

boston
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

Thanks....for your input....i must be realistic. What about just Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel....and then...which way to BWI? ....what would you suggest....is it worth it to go through the tunnel, and then turn around and drive back the same way back to Chincoteague and then, north to BWI....or can you suggest another scenic route through VA. I've read so much about the tunnel, it sounds like something really special to experience.

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

It is approximately a 90 mile or 2 hr drive to the island that has the fishing pier, gift shop and restaurant. You pay your toll upon entrance.so you could turn around at this point and not pay any more tolls. You never said how long you were in Chincoteague? If you were there for more than a couple of days, this could be a good side trip one afternoon. For example, leave Chincoteague at 3:00pm arrive at approx 5:00pm. Watch for ships for an hour. Either turn around and have dinner somewhere along the way back to Chincoteague or continue into the Virginia Beach area for dinner then return across the CBBT. Check the weather before you do any of this. It is not a good place to be in the fog or during storms.

boston
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

we arrive Sunday morning at BWI, then are at C.I. Sunday and Monday night. it might be a great idea to take the trip during the heat of the day... Thanks for the tip on checking the weather....is there a reliable way to check the weather?

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

I would check on Weather.com , the houly Virginia Beach forecast, if you have access to a computer. I'm not sure of what TV stations you will have available.

6. Re: Chincoteague to Front Royal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 17, 2014