We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Greetings everyone.

I'm a huge wildlife enthusiast, I'm from the UK so we don't get very much stuff. I've been to various local nature centers and parks in Alexandria, (Huntley Meadows was the best place i've been for these sorts of things).

I'm going to Shenandoah for 2 days or so, just wanted to know of any areas where there is a lot of wildlife, would be good if there were any hotspots for bears for nice viewing towers in wetlands etc.

I'm sure the views and foresty is beautiful and we'll see that as we go so I'm not too concerned about seeing great views. Would just like to try see as much wildlife as possible, and also to try and photograph.

Thank you for anything.

Edited: 1:54 pm, May 31, 2013
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Generally, wildlife is more active during dusk and dawn hours. I have hiked many miles but saw a bear only once, they probably saw me alot! Wish I could tell you where to spot bear etc but sorry to say, it just happens. Not unusual to hike a trail and see one grazing in the distance but if you continue forward it will likely leave, Black Bear usually don't want people encounters but they also know people carry food. Just use caution not to approach them, especially cubs because the parents will be nearby. The Appalachian Trail near Big Meadows might be an area to try but generally trails with few people are the best choices. Consider trails off the Blue Ridge Parkway (just at the end of SNP) ie. AT at milepost 6, Humpback Rocks. This trailhead had several trails incl AT. As you hike and see backpackers, ask if/where they have seen wildlife. Here is a link to Shenandoah's site concerning wildlife (several pgs ):

www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/animals.htm

Hope this helps and good luck

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Thanks for your prompt reply

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Are there any wetland/marsh type areas? are there turtles/snakes/frogs etc? If so where are they compared to big meadows lodge?

Edited: 2:22 pm, June 03, 2013
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

I noticed this article regarding wildlife in SNP and thought you might be interested (turtles/snakes/frogs near end of article):

guidetosnp.com/web/Information/AboutBearsand…

Check out areas with waterfalls and streams for amphib/reptile hunting spots (listed by milepost, click for trail map):

www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/waterfalls.htm

One of my favorite SNP trails is Rose River Loop and it's convenient to Big Meadows, nice trail along water, should result in plenty of what you are looking for plus enjoyable hike.

Happy trails

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Great, thanks!!

San Diego
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

If you are a wildlife enthusiast you must go to Yellowstone National Park someday. I have been there three times now, and will never tire of it. Reserve lodging a year or so in advance inside the park. It's really the trip of a lifetime. Fly to the region and rent a car. Drive slowly. End up in a "Buffalo Jam", or some other kind of animal"Jam". You will not regret it. If you get tired of watching animals, go stroll around a geyser basin. Like nowhere else on earth.

London, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Wow thanks!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

Just wanted to add to what JbirdlandLori said about Yellowstone. Lori is right: for a wildlife enthusiast, Yellowstone is not to be missed. Black bears, elk, deer, bison, otters, marmots - we saw them all and more at Yellowstone last summer. If you decide to go, check out TA's Yellowstone site and especially the forum discussions.

boston
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

We love wildlife too. Pencil this in for a trip someday, I would suggest Shubenacadie Wildlife Park in Nova Scotia. You can take amazing photos. Cape Breton is also fantastic (but still on my to do list.) We were along a beach in Nova Scotia, can't remember which one, but there was an adorable fox family that we could observe.

10. Re: Best wildlife related tasks to do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 15, 2014