We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip in April

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip in April

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Virginia over vacation week in April. I would like to go to Shennandoah National Park and Bush Gardens/Williamsburg. How many days would you suggest staying at Shennandoah? I would be with my husband and daughter (10) so we won't be doing a lot of real hiking but would like to do the drive/short walks and maybe visit the caverns in Luray? Is one night enough in the area and then we can head to Williamsburg? Also, where would you stay? Thanks for you suggestions.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip in April

There are so many options I'd need some more info to help. Starting point, days available (2?) and accommodations required. (in or out of the park)

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip in April

I'm Just starting my planning. So I'm thinking of starting my trip driving from Boston to Shennandoah National Park. I can stay one, two or three days. Big Meadows Lodge is not open for the season yet so if we were going to stay in the park it would be at the Skyline Resort. I am not opposed to staying outside of the park either and we could just stop at Skyline for lunch one day to see the view. I love being outside and enjoy touring National Parks. My little daughter likes amusement parks which is why I was going to add Bush Gardens to the trip.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip in April

Very helpful, thank you.

Assuming you start the day at the Front Royal entrance to SLD you could easily drive it to Luray stopping for some overlooks or light hiking along the way. Once there you can visit the caverns and have lunch. If you are too tired at that point you could stay in Luray or make the short drive to Harrisonburg or Staunton where there are many accommodation and food choices ranging from economy to 4 and 5 star.

After a nights rest you can make your way to nearby Monticello if you like history or simply drive the 2.5 hrs to Williamsburg.

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip in April

This is very helpful! Thanks!

5. Re: Planning a trip in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, February 08, 2013