We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

Reporting from the Rockfish Gap

Well we indeed get some much needed rain the last few days with some more predicted next week. The temps are now more seasonal and its cooling off nicely in the evenings. (40) This is great news for those who like to leaf peep.

I predict we should be near peak for the Columbus Day weekend. If you need accomodations I advise making reservations now because that holiday weekend is notoriously busy. Be aware there will be many cars, motorcycles and people along SLD and BRP so drivers need to keep their peepers on the road.

Come on out, enjoy the scenery, get some great local apples and home made apple butter and take in the local flavor. Also of note, Waynesboro Va is having their wine festival that weekend. Waynesboro is just west on SR 250 at the bottom of Afton Mt.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

bacchuslimo,

Very nice of you to provide first hand information about Shenandoah fall foliage. Hope to be in your beautiful area soon.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

Goneagain2,

Thank you. I know many people come to the Shenandoah Valley for the fall scenery and frankly thought it would be a bust this year due to our drought, but thankfully good ole Mother Nature pulled through again to allow us to see her beauty.

Having grown up in Alexandria and the hustle of city life, I always appreciated coming out here to slow down, relax and take in the natural settings the Valley has to offer. I still miss my hometown, if only for a day after being there (congestion), but alwways look forward to my real home in the Valley.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

BTW goneagain2, what's the exchange rate on fresh apples for soft shells? ;-)

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

bacchuslimo, Not sure of exchange rate but I can eat my weight in crisp apples. By the way, our area got 10+" of rain.....crabs are at the doorstep.

Stanley, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

Guess I will give my report from Luray. We are no where near peak. Colors are appearing nicely now. Guess the rain helped some. The Massanutten side of the MTs ( New Market, Harrisonburg area) seem to have a bit more color than our Blue Ridge. We have not had any frost yet, but it is getting lots cooler in the evenings so I guess just a matter of time. Then things will really turn more quickly. From my experience, looks like the 3rd or 4th week will be peak around here. Of course there is always beautiful color. Once the top of the Blue Ridge on Skyline Drive turn...it makes is way down the side of the mountains into the valley. So you can always find some good color usually through the beginning of Nov. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

Have to agree Fluffy. I suppose I was a bit optimistic and hoped the rain and cooler weather would help things along but it didn't get cold enough and now we're in for mid 70's for the weekend. Still the Dogwoods and maples are getting some color and the weather is perfect for a visit to the Valley for the long weekend.

Thanks for your input Fluffy.

7. Re: Southern Shenendoah Valley leaf update...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2011