We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

We have two nights to spend at the park. We are also going to Luray to see the caverns. Are we better off staying in the park or staying at a B&B in Luray? Thanks for any help!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
428 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

I am assuming you do not want to camp. There are places to stay in Luray and in addition to the caverns (at the same location) there is a fun hedge maze and reptile zoo, etc... We camped at Big Meadow and there is also a lodge on Skyline Drive where you can stay. The trip from there to Luray is approximately 30 minutes. I personally loved Big Meadows- although I can't vouch for the Lodge itself. But there is a beautiful "meadow" where you can meander and often doing so with the deer. I hope that helps a little.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

No, we are not going to camp. I will check out Big Meadows Lodge. I am looking for something clean and comfortable. It doesn't have to be luxurious. On the other hand I was reading about some very nice B&B's in Luray. Piney Hills got excellent reviews. I am torn as to which area I want to stay in. If I stay in the park then I am limited to eat my meals at the lodge. Thank you for your help.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

It won't be any hardship if you stay in one of the lodges and have to eat your meals in the dining room. There is a wide variety of food on the menu at the lodges and it's all good and reasonably priced. We make a day trip to Big Meadow at least a couple times of year just to go hiking and have lunch in the dining room there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

I just (last week) stayed at Skyland Resort in the park, and I definitely would NOT recommend it. Especially since you listed both "clean" and "comfortable" as things you want. You won't find either of those there!

There are other lodges in the park, but all are managed by the same company (Aramark) and are probably very similar.

Stay in Luray or Front Royal. Front Royal is bigger, probably better selection. We almost went to Luray Caverns but decided $23 per person was just too much.

Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

To longhorn's point, the food at Skyland was pretty good. Too expensive, but good. I would eat there again, but I wouldn't stay there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

Drove skyline about 3 weeks ago and stopped in the lodges but did not stay there. IMHO it would be special to stay in the park. Also went to Luray and if you are into this it is amazing . There are discounts with Giant card and others which are listed on website .

Stanley, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

IT depends on the type of lodging you are looking for.

If rustic..stay in the park If you want pampering and don't have children with you.... pick a B & B.

My recommendation would be the TOP 3 B & B's in Luray in the TA listings. I know they well and you will NOT be disappointed.

You MUST see the caverns. Yes the price is high..but it is definitely worth it!

Edited: 8:33 am, July 28, 2010
8. Re: Lodging in or near Shenandoah National Park Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 25, 2011