We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first week of April

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first week of April

we plan a trip to VA on the first week of April (school spring break)

how are conditions on Skyline Drive and around the park for hiking?

we have young kids (7,5) and looking for few easy trails, nothing too complicated

we'll start at the North of Shenandoah NP, go through Skyline drive and from Rockfish Gap area do some of Blue Ridge parkway.

same question here: how are the roads, hiking trails and if anyone can recommend nice trails for kids (water falls are always a hit)

how is the lodging around this area at this time of the year? is it all open or not yet?

I understand the visitor centers are still closed at this time of the year, any restroom\food tips?

I was thinking driving south to Lynchburg area and then cut east and north toward Richmond and back home

is there anything really amazing\must see in a reasonable distance beyond Lynchburg?

we did visit the Great Smokey mountains few years back

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first week of April

I'll try to answer some of your questions but also check the websites www.nps.gov/shen and www.nps.gov/blri for up to the minute conditions.

Skyline Drive is currently open, all 105 miles, from Front Royal to Waynesboro. Look here for a schedule of openings, visitor centers, lodging, etc nps.gov/shen/…facilities-opening-schedule.htm also contains their locations by milepost.

Some Ranger programs also begin the first of April so check them out for interest and to see if they fit your travel plans nps.gov/shen/…20Schedule.pdf

"Wild about Bears" sounds like a winner!

Here are a few easy/interesting trails in SNP to consider, also ask at the Visitor Center for suggestions:

Fox Hollow Trail loop at Dickey Ridge Visitor Center

Limberlost Trail, milepost 43, easy, 1.2 mile loop, beautiful woods

Dark Hollow Falls, this is the most popular waterfall hike in the Park, easy to moderate, take a snack for a break on the rocks at the falls before returning, 1.5 mi roundtrip, fun hike, milepost 50.5 near Big Meadows Lodge.

Frazier Discovery Trail, milepost 79.5 at Loft Mountain Wayside, easy to moderate, great views and interesting plants, etc along the way, 1.1 mile loop.

You can get trail maps on the website and visitor center, keep one with you because trails sometimes cross each other and it's not always clear which way to go....or maybe that's just me (been lost plenty).

You may want to consider Luray and a visit to the Caverns, usually a hit with kids and adults and not far off Skyline Dr. If you are taking the Blue Ridge Parkway, at milepost 86 is Peaks of Otter, 3 big beautiful mountains, a lodge, visitor center, lake. There is a nice easy trail around the Lake Abbott and a hike called Johnson Farm Trail. From there, you can exit BRP toward Bedford and proceed on to Lynchburg.

Hope this helps, post again if you have more questions.

Happy trails

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first week of April

this is great. thanks.

I do have one more question - I saw many pics and comments about foliage in this area and I wonder if it means all the trees in the area without leaves, which make it less attractive.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first week of April

Shenandoah is beautiful in all seasons. Plants and trees are beginning to bud but there is lots of green and it's unlikely the scenery will disappoint you. Enjoy.

4. Re: first week of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 19, 2010