We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking in advance?

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Booking in advance?

I am going to be traveling to Buena Vista for a business trip and I'd like to spend 1 or 2 nights at one of the lodges in the park. I don't have definite dates yet though and I may not know until last minute. My guess is that it will be within the next 2 weeks.

My question: This may sound stupid but can you just show up at a lodge and see if there are rooms/cabins for the taking or do you have to book in advance? And if there are some available can you get one of the packages or are they internet only?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking in advance?

We've always made our reservations in advance, so I can't tell you if it's asolutely necessary.

But given the fact that you have really limited choices as to places to stay, I'd call to make reservations even if it was the night before you leave. Just to make sure you have a place to lay your head ;-)

Accommodations are similar at Skyland and Big Meadows, so it doesn't really matter which you choose. The lodge at Big Meadows is older and kind of arts & crafts style; Skyland is a modern (1960's vintage) building.

By all means ask for the Blue Ridge package; it's a good value!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Ridge
Blue Ridge
Virginia
Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking in advance?

Thank you very much for your reply!

conn
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking in advance?

It is some times posable to pick up room without a reservation mostly midweek.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking in advance?

Now that school is starting for many students, and family vacations are over, you have a decent chance of finding something available at the last minute, especially mid-week. I was able to get a room with no reservation in June a few years ago because of a cancellation, and that was on a weekend, if I recall correctly. I would suggest calling as soon as you know your timeframe, and if nothing is available, ask if they have a waiting list for cancellations.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking in advance?

We went up to Shenandoah NP last Thursday (23rd) for a hike down White Oak Canyon and both of the lodges had rooms available. If you visit on a weekend you would most likely will need advance reservations. You can call at 1-888-896-3833 or go online at either www.visitshenandoah.com or www.aramarkparks.com. We have stayed at Big Meadows (twice this year) and Skyland; either one is fine (ask for a valley view room at either place). They have renovated the motel-style rooms at Big Meadows with new wood floors, new beds with a pine look and air conditioning (which you may not need); they have not remodeled the bathrooms though and they are a bit on the smallish side. Cannot say whether they have remodeled the Skyland rooms or not as we have not stayed there in several years.

6. Re: Booking in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 30, 2009