We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

Kannapolis, North...
Level Contributor
25 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

Any recommendations for lodging in or around Shenandoah National Park? I have been looking at Skyland Lodge - but do not know which rooms have the great views!

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

Most of the rooms at Skyland have good views, except for the cabins, which are scattered throughout the woods. The Raven's Nest and Winship buildings have particularly good views - you can request them.

When you call to make your reservations, make sure that you request a "Valley View Room" and also request a second floor room. This will give you a better view and also a cathedral ceiling, which is nice to have.

I don't know what the status of the room renovation is at Skyland. In June we stayed at Big Meadows, and the rooms in the Rapidan and Doubletop buildings had been completely redone over this past winter, with new furniture, new flooring, air conditioning (!) and television (!!). These buildings, at least on the second floor, have good but somewhat limited valley views. One plus for Big Meadows is the very short, easy hike to Blacktop, which is one of the best views anywhere in the park.

Whatever you choose, I think it's best to lodge within the park at one of these two lodges. They aren't fancy, but I can't imagine spending your days in the glorious surroundings of the Park and then going down off the mountain into some touristy town for the night. Talk about culture shock!!!

Kannapolis, North...
Level Contributor
25 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

Thanks, Gladdismom!

You have given me exactly the information I need to plan a trip to Shenandoah National Park. Sounds like I need to be very specific when requesting the room - you gave me the details to do this.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

I forgot to mention - we've been visiting Shenandoah and staying at the lodges for years now, and one of the great values is the "Blue Ridge Package." It's available at both Skyland and Big Meadows. It includes your lodging, full breakfasts, and three-course dinners. It includes all taxes and fees; the only thing you pay out of pocket are tips and any alcoholic beverages. You're not limited with the food - it's really nice to be able to order anything off the menu you desire without regard to cost. If you total up the average cost of meals and deduct that from the Blue Ridge Package cost, you'll find your room has been substantially discounted.

The food at the lodges is really pretty good. Dinners are not haute cuisine, but everything is well-prepared and satisfying. Breakfasts are, surprisingly, excellent. We've never been disappointed. Fluffy omelettes loaded with as many fillings as you want to add; good, homemade-quality biscuits with sausage gravy, nice fresh fruit. It's expensive if you pay a la carte, but if you have the Blue Ridge Package you don't have to worry about it!

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

When are you going to visit Shenandoah NP or have you already gone?

5. Re: Lodging In/Around Shenandoah National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 07, 2009