We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asthma/Health Care

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Asthma/Health Care

We are visiting in June (changed from April). Our trip will begin at Front Royal and we will travel down to Roanoke. Somewhere along the way (we are still choosing) we will camp for two nights.

Our oldest daughter (14) is a serious asthmatic. We will need to map out any and all medical facilities along the way in case of an emergency. Where might I find this information?

Also, has anyone with asthma had an experience with the air quality, atmosphere, altitude along Skyline/Blueridge?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asthma/Health Care

Here's a bloom schedule that might be helpful. Since it's higher up some of the blooming is later than in the foothills.

It can depend on the individual and the weather...the height, the humidity, how very happy or nervous the person is, etc.

I had heard of an asthma camp in the Blue Ridge and found the following in my search.

You might contact the American Lung Association of Virginia. The reason I suggest this is because the ALA of North Carolina has an asthma camp in their Blue Ridge Mts. so I'm thinking the one in Va. might know something about the Blue Ridge Mts. It is afterall one of the states big features...so someone should. I noticed an email for community relations. You might give them a try. Alternatively, contact the NC one and see what ideas they might have.

Va ALA:

kintera.org/site/…Contact_Us.htm

NC ALA:

lungnc.org/programs/…asthmacamps_details.php

This page is contact for Parkway Headquarters, which you might try:

nps.gov/blri/contacts.htm

I don't know of a list...and a quick google search wasn't conclusive...of medical facilities all along the Parkway, which would indeed be a handy guide. But that's something you might ask the people above about. Also be aware that if you're camping it'll be dark and those roads are pitch dark at night unless the moon's pretty full. They are very windy and you have to go slow and the roads are full of deer that come out at night when there are no cars. One of the online parkway sites I saw an 800 number for a ranger in case of emergency. We haven't experienced that so I don't know how long they take. They can take some roads that are not really open to or known by the general public though which can make for a shorter trip.

Let me know what you find out.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asthma/Health Care

TY SOOO!!!! Much for this info. I am contacting them now. Ill let you know what I find out :)

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asthma/Health Care

Well I contacted both the BRP and the SLD headquarters. They were very helpful and were able to give me names and phone numbers of all the hospitals on the course of our trip. I was also given numbers to the parkway EMT office in the event of an emergency.

Now I just need to map them all out so that I know where they are :)

4. Re: Asthma/Health Care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...