We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chains for tires next week

Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chains for tires next week

Can someone tell me if they require chains everyday or just days that it is expected to snow, trying to come out next week, looks sunny, but can not seem to get a rental car anywhere that will allow chains.. Trying so hard to figure it out, if not may need to head somewhere else! Thanks in advance for any info.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chains for tires next week

The weather report for the week of April 5 - 11 does not indicate precipitation for Yosemite Valley. It is predicted to be in the 60s and 70s. Nearby where we live in the foothills it is expected to get into the 80s during those days. Yep that's right, we get about 3 days of spring conditions and then we get walloped with summer temperatures.

For weather conditions for Yosemite Valley, key in ZIP CODE 95389.

If you merely key in Yosemite National Park, you get the high country weather conditions.

They might ask at the entrance gate if you have chains. If you want to buy some before you get to Yosemite, ok. Just know that the vehicle rental agency says NO Chains. When you buy chains, ask if you can return them unused and unopened.

Hope this helps as no one has yet come forward with an answer . . . maybe you will now get other answers.

Edited: 3:08 am, April 03, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chains for tires next week

Brain fade . . .I thought you were on the Yosemite forum! I think we can expect similar weather for Kings Canyon and Sequoia. But I did not check the weather report.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
797 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chains for tires next week

ZIP CODE for Grant Grove Village, Kings Canyon National Park is 93633 for checking weather reports.

Mentioned in this post
Grant Grove
Grant Grove
262 Reviews
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
797 Reviews
Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chains for tires next week

So am I safe to say if it is sunny, I should head that way and not stress the chains? Or do they check everyday regardless?

Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chains for tires next week

Showing a high of 63 and 66 the days I am there, I get it I am from colorado I know a storm can come in quick.. Just hate to go out of my way for the chains I can't use anyway, then they don't even ask! Thanks for all you help, do you have a favorite hike accessible at this time of year? We are a couple, no kids, mid thirties, I would like to say great shape.. ; ) and up for anything!

Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chains for tires next week

Any hints on where I may be able to buy chains on the way in.. Coming from LAX

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,682 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chains for tires next week

One time I found a link on the SEKI NPS page with a list of where to buy or rent chains. But I think that most stores send their tire chain stock back to the warehouse at the beginning of April, so it's likely that there won't be any chains for you to buy!

>>Can someone tell me if they require chains everyday or just days that it is expected to snow<<

Just required when it is actively snowing, forecast to snow, or current chain restrictions are in place.

8. Re: Chains for tires next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2015