We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Going to SEKI for a 5 days in July and then to Yosemite for 6 days. There is so much to see and do and we have the time. We already have a guide taking us to MK for one day and are signed up with an Ansel Adams photographer one day in Yosemite. With this much time, we really want to dig into both areas...but the choices are limitless and not knowing the areas, it is a bit overwhelming. We plan to hit the main attractions...Moro Rock...Yosemite Valley...and are looking for some suggestions for off the beaten path sites that fit into one day (vs. overnight hiking & camping)? We are staying in a rental in Three Rivers 3 nights, Wuksachi Lodge 3 nights and at a rental in Yosemite 6 nights. Also, what are good excursions? River rafting seems to be popular...was hoping for some ATVing...but haven't found anything in these areas yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,805 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Hi

here is the link for the Yosemite forum. Be sure to read the Top Questions that have been collected for visitors.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Thanks, will do

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

You'll have to google "Three Rivers Rafting" for help there - there *are* concessions, but they are all very seasonal and I have no idea if July will be too rough, still, for rafting upriver on the Kaweah.

The only thing I'd want to do in Kaweah is head up the mountain to Sequoia, there's nothing that could keep me long in Kaweah in July (very hot), but if you can find a rafting trip (or if you can find a place that will rent big inner tubes and the river is low, you can splash around in parts of Three Rivers - but please, please don't go into the water where you can't see sand bars and lots of people wading/playing - so many people decide to go in once inside the park boundaries, and that's not at all a good idea).

There are the Indian petroglyphs at Hospital Rock to see (but again, it's so hot in July...)

Further up the mountain, of course, you have

1) Crystal Cave (worth it, first part can be warm, but the cave itself is always cool)

2) The usual things, as you've mentioned, including Moro Rock, but also Crescent and Log Meadows, Tharp's Long, Round Meadow, Beetle Rock (opposite the History center, which is worth a stop); the area around Beetle Rock is one of the few places you can wander in an old growth Sequoia forest off trail); Congress Trail (definitely worth it); Tokopah Falls (should be in full rush - near Lodgepole). For me, the place to go in the water is at Lodgepole Creek near the bridge (the rangers patrol it and close any areas that can be dangerous; there are a couple of great swimming holes - one is south of the road, near the picnic ground).

Off the beaten path: John Muir Grove off the Dorst Campground trail head. Dorst Creek should be roaring and it's a great trail to an isolated and wonderful grove of redwoods.

Somewhat off the beaten path (1/10th the number of hikers as on Congress Trail): The Three Lakes hike (there's some exposure, there's a by-pass of the exposed part if someone is afraid of heights), with the goal being Heather Lake or further if you're energetic; this is going to take most of a day).

Nearly every hike at Road's End in Kings Canyon is worth it. You'll have to choose. There are dozens of other hikes of course, as well.

Enjoy Sequoia and Kings Canyon for what they are: much more isolated, much less visited parts of the Sierra Nevada. To me, looking up at the granite cliffs at Lodgepole, while not as imposing as Half Dome, is absolutely amazing. The other hikes from the Lodgepole area (trailheads are all near the bridge and parking area) are also great, serene and often full of wildlife if you walk quietly.

Wildlife includes: at least 3 common kinds of squirrels (including the Golden-Mantled Squirrel which looks like a chipmunk, but is not), chipmunks, marmots, deer and bear. The birds that make their homes in the rocks near Lodgepole creek are fascinating, but there are dozens and dozens of other species (and of course, also reptiles, especially at lower altitudes, but also at Beetle Rock).

Ranger Programs at night (Lodgepole, near Wuksachi) are also well worth going to.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Here's the link to my (very long) trip report from our time in Yosemite and Sequoia from June 2012. Perhaps this will give you a few ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k565195…

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

Thanks OhioHick. I've started to read your report...you sound very similar to us in how we like to vacation and explore Parks, so I think this will be very helpful. Appreciate it!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

I hope you find the report useful. Holler if you have any questions.

8. Re: 5 days in SEKI; 5 days in Yosemite - best itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2015