We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego, ca
4 posts
campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

hi, new to the forum. i'm looking to go camping w/ some friends middle of august for 3nights. we're amateur campers but would like to be in wooded area w/ running water nearby if possible.

i've read through the threads and come up w/ 2 options Cedar Grove or Grants Grove (Azalea) area. what are your opinions?

we also want to go on day hikes to the most of the area so trail recommendations would be great. good fishing spots?

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

Cedar Grove is far from the rest of park, an hour to the nearest sequoias at Grant Grove, 2 or 3 hours to the most impressive grove, the Giant Forest. But it's also the most secluded, and probably has the best fishing in running water, there's a good stream through it.

Grant Grove is more centrally located, will be far more crowded, it's near the Grant Grove Visitor Center and the Grant Grove Trail, one of the main attractions. Hume Lake is nearby, outside the park but closer than Cedar Grove. There's camping there, too, but no idea what it's like.

Giant Forest is probably the main attraction, near the southwest corner of Sequoia. Get back to Moro Rock and Crescent Meadow then hike the trail of the sequoias .

Another great hike is the Lakes Trail/Alta Peak Trail from Wolverton. You can hike either up to a series of alpine lakes below Alta Peak (can fish in a couple of these), or hike up to the top of Alta Peak itself.

san diego, ca
4 posts
2. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

thanks, bayatuning.

really liking the sound of Cedar Grove. do you there will be a big problem w/ mosquitoes in mid-aug?

orange, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

Wood - Cedar Grove is my favorite place to camp in the entire world. Sentinal campground is the best one in my opinion. Spots 14-19 I believe are the best. Those are the ones closest to the river to put you to sleep at night. The campground has flush toilets, sinks, and water. There is also a general store about 1/4 mile away and if you need a shower they have them there for about $3 maybe $4. There are fabulous hikes at roads end around zumwalt meadow and to Mist Falls. The South Fork river is a great place to hang out. I don't know what you want to see but the area near lodgepole and the General's Highway around the big trees will be packed. I wish I were going.

Trails - Don Cecil trail off the main road by the general store about a mile to a bridge from there off trail to the left for a great place to have lunch or enjoy the sun. From there you can hike if you are adventurous to the top of the small falls and back around to some beautiful places that are hard to get to but worth the effort.

Roaring falls off main road on a paved path about 1/4 mile.

Zumwalt Meadow - 3 mile loop that is flat. Great scenery and if you go ealry morning you are guaranteed to see deer. The canyon walls just tower over you, well worth it.

Mist Falls - 4 miles each way but only a 600 foot elevation gain. Fabulous scenery with some fantastic places to get that Holiday card photo.

Remember this is bear country and Mosquito country regardless of where you camp.

san diego, ca
4 posts
4. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

thanks atomic. that's great information. we will definately check out the sites 14-19 at sentinal. hopefully, they'll be available. if what do you think of the other campgrounds around there like canyon view?

also, how bad is are the mosquitoes? are they mostly bad at night? will we need netted hats?

orange, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

Read below - I have stayed at all four but I prefer selected spots at Sentinel the best but that is me. You are going in mid Aug so it will be crowded. The key is what day you are arriving. Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed Thurs arrival offer the best opportunities for a good spot this is based on my personal experiences.

Mosquitos is another question. They depend on the temps and the stagnant water. We had a big winter for the sierra so there will be a ton of water and thus a ton of mosquitos. They will only be out in the morning and in the evening. It will not be that bad. I have a head net and use it on occasion. Also remember the base of the canyon can get colder than normal because cold air sinks and there is no where for it to go since you are basically in a bowl.

Sheep Creek Campground

This is how camping at Cedar Grove works: Four rather large campgrounds that are situated right next to each other fill up one at a time, the closest filling first. Sheep Creek is that first campground, which is reason enough to keep on moving if you can. Some folks like the fact that you can walk from your campsite to pay showers, an amphitheater, fast food (yes, fast food), laundry and a market. Open June through September.

Sentinel Campground

A touch smaller than Sheep Creek and a bit farther down the road, Sentinel still doesn't quite provide a real wilderness experience. Its sites are a little roomier, but its main distinction (like Sheep Creek) is that it is walking distance from the Cedar Grove activity hub. Open April through October.

Canyon View Campground

This is the smallest and prettiest of Cedar Grove's campgrounds. Situated right on the Kings River, your campsite will be sheltered from the commotion of other campers by the pleasant cover-up of running water. The conveniences of Cedar Grove are still easily reached by foot, but not so many feet make the trek. Open June through August.

Moraine Campground

Park officials only open Moraine when the other three campgrounds are full. Its primary advantage is distance from the masses, though this is only important when the park is busy enough to warrant its unlocking. A hiking trail parallels the river (and the main road), but hikers are best off driving to Roads End and picking up the trails from there. Open June through September, as needed.

orange, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

also the spots are first come first serve so if you find a decent spot but still want to look around to see if there might be another gem of a spot then have someone save it by sitting in a chair as the others drive around to look at other spots.

If you are leaving from San Diego I would leave at 3am as it will take you without traffic 7 hours to reach the campgrounds...remember the campgrounds are another hour away once you hit the entrance. Get camp set up enjoy the day and crash early.

san diego, ca
4 posts
7. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

that's alot of great information Atomic. thanks again.

i really like the sound of Canyon View. a little more secluded and near water. we'll definately scope out both Sentinel and Canyon view for suitable sites.

atomic, are you saying that it will take a total of 7hrs from SD to Cedar Creek or 7 hours to the south entrance then another hour to Cedar Creek?

orange, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

I live in the OC and without traffic it takes me about 6 1/2 hours from my driveway to the campground. So I added some time for San Diego. I always enter from the north entrance even though it is longer. It takes less time than the south entrance. If you enter from the south (through sequoia) you will have to drive all the way through the park to get to your campground. It is a long slow drive throught the park especially if you get caught behind a camper or two.

I make my way to the 5 the the 99. I get off at Kingsburg and make my way through some side roads to Sanger. I turn right at an Arco station and follow the signs from there.

long beach, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

Cedar Grove is the best spot. The drive down to cedar Grove from Grants Grove is an adventure, its well worth it. We camp at Sheep Creek, down near the river. The campgrounds all have bear boxes to put all your food, if bears smell food in your car/truck they will pop your windows and go get it.

The temps in Cedar Grove are usually in the 90s during the day, low 60s at night. Great river(south fork of the Kings River) runs through it and the next campground. Six miles down the road(hwy. 180) you come to "roads end". There you will find John Muir Rock also known as "party rock" where you can jump off it and into the river. A great hike from there is up to Mist Falls. That should take about 5 or 6 hours there and back to the parking lot. Ranger led slide shows and campfire every night at the ranger station.

Good camping, Paul (kickinit74@gmail)

10. Re: campsites in Sequoia/KC recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...