We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does 395 connect to the 180?

CA
Level Contributor
371 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Does 395 connect to the 180?

Some maps I found look like they connect others make it look like it only connects by a hiking trail. Which is correct? Trying to avoid traffic through LA area.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

180 ends at Cedar Grove. There's no connection to 395 except by hiking trails.

Where are you trying to get to? And when?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

There is no road into Sequoia/Kings Canyon from the east side.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

Where are your starting and ending points?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

There's no way to avoid L.A. traffic by going to Sequoia (and the others are right, no connection through the Sierras from Sequoia to th 395).

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

No. You cannot access Sequoia National Park by car from Highway 395 by taking 180.

There is no direct access to Sequia /Kings Canyon National Park from the east.

CA
Level Contributor
371 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

Just wanted to double check. Good thing! I guess we will take the 5 to 99 and go thru Visalia and just leave very early. Thanks!

oh, we're coming from the Riverside area.

Edited: 5:08 pm, September 03, 2012
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

I suppose you could take the 10 or 215 east to Highway 138 to the Pear Blossom Highway toward Palmdale, then connect with Highway 58 west to Highway 99 in Bakersfield up to Highway 198 to get to Sequoia. That might save some traffic aggravation for you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

So you're going from Riverside to Kings Canyon National Park, right?

We've done it two ways:

(1) Interstate 15 north to Interstate 210 west through Pasadena to Interstate 5 north, to CA Highway 99 north to Fresno, then east on Highway 180 to Kings Canyon National Park. That way does go through a lot of city freeways, Pasadena etc. so if it is during morning rush hour it might be slower.

(2) Interstate 15 north to CA Highway 138 west, to CA Highway 14 north to Mojave, then CA Highway 58 west to Bakersfield, then CA Highway 99 north to Fresno, then CA Highway 180 east to Kings Canyon NP. That way would be more open highway, probably less traffic, but it also goes through desert which is hot right now.

I didn't measure out the total mileage of the 2 options above, but I think the mileage difference between them is negligible.

If your destination is Sequoia National Park instead of Kings Canyon National Park, then just follow the above directions, but instead of going to Fresno, get off CA Highway 99 at Visalia and take Highway 198 east to Sequoia National Park. The 2 parks are adjacent and are managed as if they were one park. Highway 180 is gentler and has fewer curves than 198 does, so if you are prone to motion sickness I would use Highway 180. But it also depends on what your exact destination is in the parks, and you haven't stated that.

CA
Level Contributor
371 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

Thanks for all the good information. Hwy 180 sounds good to me! Sequoia Park is our destination. We were considering coming in on the 180 so we could see General Grant Grove. We only have a 1 1/2 days to sight see so that might be to much driving.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does 395 connect to the 180?

Well, it's shorter for you to just go to Visalia, then take Highway 198 east from Visalia up into Sequoia National Park. You could visit the Giant Forest area there, as well as other sights such as Moro Rock, Crystal Cave and others that interest you in that park. If you wanted to see the Grant Grove, you could take the Generals' Highway north, which connects Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The Grant Grove is near where the Generals Highway and Highway 180 meet at the entrance of that park. If you were to go all the way to Fresno first and then enter the parks on Highway 180, that would mean a longer drive for you. However, if you suffer from motion sickness you might want to do that anyway, as Highway 180 is gentler and has fewer curves than Highway 198, which has over 100 curves. But if time is a consideration and you're looking to get to Sequoia as quickly as possible, I would just go to Visalia and then take Highway 198.

Edited: 12:31 pm, September 04, 2012