We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to sequoia

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
day trip to sequoia

Hey everyone! first time being in California for 8 days. I dont know when I will ever get to come back so trying to fit in as much as possible. 5 days at theme parks so thinking about making the drive up from long beach to at least spend a couple of hours here and then drive back. I feel like i HAVE to come out and see this so any tips or concerns? according to my iphone the trip will be about a 5 hour drive thinking about leaving long beach at 5 am getting there about 10-11 with traffic staying till about 5-6 and then driving back. Dont really want to make the brunt of the drive when its too dark i heard the driving is tricky. I would really appreciate the information if this seems to unrealistic to do considering just going to Catalina but highly doubting it would be as memorable.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to sequoia

It would be a lot easier for you if you could spend one night in the park, because doing 10 hours of driving in one day will leave you exhausted, and you won't have too much time in the park. But if you can't stay overnight, yes, you can do what you plan.

Long Beach to Visalia is 212 miles, with a driving time of 3.5 to 4 hours depending on traffic, plus any time spent at stops along the way. We usually stop at the Pyramid Lake Visitor Center (Vista del Lago exit on Interstate 5) for the nice large clean bathrooms and the exhibits about water usage, although there is no food sold there, it's a good place to stop and stretch your legs. Then continue north on Interstate 5, but get on California Highway 99 north to Visalia. From Visalia to the park entrance is about 45 minutes, then maybe another 20 to 30 minutes to the Giant Forest area.

If this trip is going to be in the summer season, there is a shuttle bus from Visalia up into the park, and it's only $15 for a round-trip ticket. See …visalia.ca.us/depts/…default.asp for more information on that shuttle. This year it operates from May 24 through September 9.

The drive on Highway 198 from Visalia up into the park has over 100 curves, I think. If you are prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine and/or ginger pills before the trip up the mountain, and try to keep your eye on the center line of the road. Usually the driver of a car doesn't get motion sickness because they are paying attention to the road, so what they see is in sync with what they feel.

For the exact times of sunrise and sunset on the day you want to do this trip, go to http://sunrisesunset.com/USA/NationalParks/ and from the "Select a location" menu, choose Sequoia - Lodgepole VC, and then choose the month you will be there and click "Make calendar" to get a calendar showing the times of sunrise and sunset. Catalina is nice, but Sequoia NP is better, in my opinion.

Edited: 2:35 am, July 14, 2012
New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to sequoia

thanks so much for your response! we are going to leave 2 days open and hopefully arent tooo exhausted from all the theme parks to go see the trees

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to sequoia

I would cut a day or two from the theme parks, rather than rush the trees.

4. Re: day trip to sequoia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 18, 2013