We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kids activities

st johns, NL
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
kids activities

we will be travelling with a 7 and 9 y old in august;, we have 5 days in sequoia and kings canyon, just wondering what are the best things to do there? is that too much time?

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kids activities

There's plenty to do there. We've camped at Lodgepole for 3 nights and during that time we were able to do (In no particular order):

-Crystal Cave

-Crescent Meadow Loop

-Auto Log

-Tunnel Log

-General ShermanTree

-Giant Forest Museum

-Foothills Visitor Center

-Lodgepole Visitor Center

-Waded and fished in the Kaweah River in Lodgepole

-Honorary Ranger badges for the kids

We camped with our kids 8 and 5 years old and the activities look like a lot to do, but the only hiking we did was Crystal Cave and Crescent Meadow Loop. Thankfully, some of the stops are on the same road so it made visiting them much easier. Also we stayed only in Sequoia and didn't do any activities in Kings Canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUSkYH2q6o

There's still quite a few things to do in both Sequoia and Kings Canyon so research a bit more and have a wonderful time outdoors.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kids activities

This will be our 4th summer camping trip to Lodgepole. We stayed 4 nights the first year and found it a little rushed. We now stay 5.

Besides the activities already mentioned, hike/walk to the top of Moro Rock.

Hike to Tokopah Falls, trail from Lodgepole. Easy 2 miles to beautiful water fall. Walk the Trail for all People around Round Meadow. Always bears to be seen here.

In Kings Canyon stop at Roaring River Falls just off the road. Nice place for a picnic lunch. In Kings Canyon/Cedar Grove walk Zumwalt Meadow.

Edited: 5:55 pm, June 05, 2012
KCNP, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kids activities

Hi sinstjohns, In addition to the great activities listed above for Sequoia, I can give you some great suggestions for kids ages 7 + 9 in the Kings Canyon portion of the parks:

1) Grant Grove of Giant Sequoia Trees. This is a great grove for kids to explore! Besides having the 3rd largest Giant Sequoia (the General Grant), the kids will love climbing through the fallen monarch tree (which served in pioneer times as the parks first lodging and saloon, and later served as a horse stable for the U.S. Calvary when they protected the park from 1890 into the early 1900s.)

2) I also recommend a trail ride at either the Grant Grove Stables or the Cedar Grove Stables.

3) Hike/drive to Panaramic Point from Grant Grove Village (road access is near the John Muir Lodge in GG Village). A short hike from the parking lot near the top, and you'll be rewarded with a magnificent view of the Kings Canyon backcountry and you can look down on Hume Lake from here.

4) Swim or fish at Hume Lake, or rent bicycles or kayaks or boats there from the Christian Camp (they also have a snack shop on the lake with great milkshakes!)

5) Drive from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove along Hwy 180 - this is a spectacular drive with sheer granite walls, a canyon deeper than the Grand Canyon, the roaring Kings River, and there are fun stops along the way...

6) On the drive from Grant Grove to Cedar, take the kids on the Boyden Cavern Cave tour -- tours run every half-hour.

7) After the cave tour, stop at Grizzley Falls on the way to Cedar Grove. Grizzley Falls are on your left and very easy access from the parking area off Hwy 180. Keep your kids away from the falls/slippery rocks, but there is a natural wading pool below the falls that is safe for kids to play in and look for fools gold!

8) Cedar Grove - do the Zumwalt meadow hike and find North Dome & Grand Sentinel; stop by Roaring River Falls on the way to Roads End (many hiking trails leave from Roads End and the Rangers can make recommendations based on your hiking experience). If your kids are good hikers, I recommend the Mist Falls Trail. Remember, you can also do a horseback ride in Cedar Grove (I think the minimum age for kids is 7 yrs. to ride).

I've been exploring the parks for the last 10 years with my children, starting when they were two. They are great parks for kids!

Good luck & enjoy your visit!

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kids activities

Round meadow (across from the museum) is a nice stroll with a chance to see bears. The nearby Sunset Rock trail offers a good view, if the air is clear.

5. Re: kids activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 11, 2013
Sequoia National...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: kids activities

Good advice on all of the posts above :) I would probably steer away from the Mist Falls hike though as it is 4 miles each way. Definitely do the Moro Rock hike and see the General Sherman tree (there is an excellent 2 mile trail that begins at the base of the tree and goes by a number of exceptional sequoia trees). Kids also love the Jr. Ranger program, which runs through the summer months. 5 days is plenty of time to see both Sequoia and Kings Canyon, but I wouldn't say it's too much. I always say you could spend a week in the parks easily and still not see everything.

7. Re: kids activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...