We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A family visiting sequoia in late march.

Tel Aviv, Israel
11 posts
Save Topic
A family visiting sequoia in late march.

Hi everyone.

I have 2 questions for you - we are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) visiting sequoia in late march for 2.5 days.

We booked a room at the wuksachi lodge.

What i need to know is -

1. Because this is a very dry winter, will i still need to carry chains with me?

2. What are the best trails for a family in late march?

I thought it would be best to spend a full day at he giant forest area - do the congress trail, but it didn't understand if we can do the crescent meadow road, and reach moro rock and tharp's log.

another day will be sepnt at the foothills, going to marble falls, and another 1/2 day in wolverton, or maybe we will go to the foothills again, and do the paradise creek trail.

What do you think?

Are these trails accesible in late march?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/currentcond.htm

Chains are mandatory in the winter months but not always necessary if no snow on roads.

Trails won't be accessible due to snow. Most access roads will still be closed.

Tel Aviv, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

All trails? Or just those in the giant forest?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

Foothill trails will be open - but perhaps not as scenic as you're thinking they might be.

Some trails in the Giant Forest area may be open (the trail to Tokopah Falls out of Lodgepole may be), it depends. Sometimes the trails are snowed over but still walkable, sometimes a person needs snow shoes or cross country skis.

Below 4000 feet, there's probably not going to be much snow (even below 5000, given the way this winter is going - but one never knows, it has been snowing down to 3000 up there, but melting off quickly).

You definitely should carry chains, though. Be prepared for snow! (And if it really is snowing when you get there, be prepared to stay in the foothills - if you are new to snow driving, SNP is not the place to start learning when it's snowing).

WHile it's been dry, March is often a wet month here and we're all hoping it will be.

Mentioned in this post
Lodgepole Campground
Lodgepole Campground
180 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Giant Forest
Giant Forest
1,477 Reviews
Tokopah Falls
Tokopah Falls
114 Reviews
Three Rivers, CA
Tel Aviv, Israel
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

Thanks.

I will carry chains, but if it will snow when i'll arrive, i am not going to drive up, and i'll stay somewhere in the foothills.

(Although i made reservations to wuksachi lodge, but if i remember correctly, i can cancel if it snows)

about giant forest trails - if the trails are walkable, will we be able to reach moro rock?

Sequoia National...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

Hi uri d,

Just a reminder, the cancellation policy at Wuksachi is 2 days prior to arrival. Snow doesn't have anything to do with cancellations unless it is so extreme that there is physically no way to reach the lodge even with chains. Here is the phone number for up-to-date road and weather conditions: 559-565-3341, then press 1, 1, 1.

As for the trails in Giant Forest, it depends 100% on how much more snow we receive throughout the month. The road to Moro Rock does close seasonally for the winter months, but if the road is walkable (or ski-able) you are certainly welcome to use it. It's about 1 mile to get from the Giant Forest Museum to Moro Rock.

Edited: 11:43 am, March 08, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
2,487 Reviews
Giant Forest
Giant Forest
1,477 Reviews
Moro Rock
Moro Rock
1,301 Reviews
Giant Forest Museum
Giant Forest Museum
295 Reviews
6. Re: A family visiting sequoia in late march.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 17, 2013