We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Budapest
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Hi Everyone!

I am planing a trip for my parents (they are about 60), in mid May. They will not hike in the park, or anything, just looking around on the tourist roads.

I have been to a lot of places in CA, but not the Sequoia and Kings. What do you think about this plan?:

Starting from Las Vegas, 1 day in the Death Valley, sleeping there, next day drive to Sequoia NP. 2 nights there.

Is 1 day enough to see the famous big trees?

And what about the Kings Canyon? Does it give some more extra to the expreience?

Any idea where to sleep near the Sequoia? Economycal, but clean motel, hotel , etc. thanks for your help in advance!

Judit

Hungary

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

They should be fine seeing the sights in Sequoia in that amount of time. There are plenty of things to see without doing a long hike. I personally think that a trip into Kings Canyon is worth the trip.

For lodging, I suggest the Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia. Nice property. Other than that there are no places in the park. The nearest town Three Rivers is a bit of a distance, but many do stay there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
247 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Yes one day is enough if no hiking is involved.

King's Canyon in my opinion is not worth the extra effort if not hiking. Grant Groove is probably as far as you need to go for your folks.

Affordable lodging outside the park is limited unless you go all the way to Fresno.

Budapest
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Thanks everyone!

Still considering the Kings Canyon....

Do you have any more idea what is worth seeing on the route Las Vegas - Death Valley - Sequoia - San Francisco? They will have 4-5 days for that.

Judit

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Just a reminder that there could be snow in mid May. I've been there a couple of times at the end of May with snow.

I'd skip the Kings Canyon.

Some of the other areas you mention have their own forums. You should ask there. I think your parents need a tour book and a good road map.

BTW, 60 is not elderly over here.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Yes, there's always the possibility of a dusting of snow in May but usually it's nice and warm.

Since we are having a lackluster year for snow right now, there is the possibility that Tioga Pass could open earlier than normal. This would be an option for your parents and probably the most scenic route for driving between Las Vegas and San Francisco. There's no way to predict though but it wouldn't hurt to keep that option open.

And, yes, what's this bit about 60 being elderly? You are as young as you feel!

Budapest
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

Thanks everyone!

:)

Of course 60 is not much, but sadly their condition and health is "elderly".

But they will enjoy the whole trip for sure!

Judit

7. Re: Is one day enough for Sequoia for an elderly couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, June 04, 2013