We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

Meg
Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

Hi,

We are travelling in June and it looks like the Tioga Pass to Yosemite will be closed. So I'm looking at the alternative route from the South.

It seems that the most direct route is to by-pass Sequoia & Kings Canyon (through Bakersfield and Fresno), but I'm quite tempted by the thought of seeing a 2,500 year old tree.

So, I'm wondering if it would be advisable to detour to Squoia and break our journey in Sequoia & Kings Canyon? It seems to be a good 6-7 hours from Vegas.

So, what I currently have in mind is to leave Vegas in the morning. Hopefully reach Sequoia by lunch and do some walk-abouts after lunch. It being summer, we should have longer days?

Then we spend a night there, and leave early next morning to go directly to Yosemite.

Am I biting off too much?

Thanks for any and all views!!

What do you guys think?

Edited: 3:09 am, May 20, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
1,027 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
831 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
Fresno
Fresno
California
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

With Tioga Pass open I always would drive that direction but if closed you'll have a good plan I would drive from Las Vegas to Three Rivers first day. Then second day take your time through Sequoia on your way to Yosemite.

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,659 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

According to the Yosemite Valley mileage page, it's about 4 hours from Lodgepole to the Valley. That seems reasonable. nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

Yosemite will be very crowded. Be prepared.

Mentioned in this post
Lodgepole Campground
Lodgepole Campground
188 Reviews
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

If Tioga Pass is closed at the time you leave Las Vegas, yes I would drive to Sequoia and through Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks, then on to Yosemite. All the way from Las Vegas to Yosemite would be too far for one day, so yes, you should break it up into 2 days at least. Possible lodging options for staying within Sequoia/Kings Canyon parks include the Wuksachi Lodge, Montecito Sequoia Lodge, John Muir Lodge and Grant Grove Cabins.

The drive from Las Vegas to Sequoia NP will be 400 miles (640 km) and will take 6.5 to 7 hours of driving, plus any time spent at stops. So if you left Las Vegas at 8 am and stopped somewhere for 1 hour for lunch and refueling the car, you would arrive at the park entrance about 4 p.m. The days are long in June so you would still have time for a little sightseeing such as the hike up the stairs to the top of Moro Rock, and/or some walking around the Giant Forest area of the park, including seeing the General Sherman Tree, the world's largest tree by volume.

Then you could stay overnight in your choice of lodging, but if the lodging is in Kings Canyon National Park, such as the John Muir Lodge or Grant Grove Cabins for example, you will still need to drive the rest of the Generals Highway, about 1 hour more of driving, to get there. The next morning you could see the beautiful Grant Grove and then leave Kings Canyon NP via Highway 180 towards Fresno. If you like big cats there is a small but good big cat sanctuary on Highway 180 just outside of the park, you could take a 1-hour tour with a docent starting at 10 am, as the morning is the best time to visit as the cats are more active. http://cathaven.com

From the exit of Kings Canyon NP to Fresno is a 1-hour drive on Highway 180, then at Fresno you would drive north on Highway 41 to Yosemite. It will be about a 90-minute drive from Fresno to the south entrance of Yosemite. The last town with services on the 41 will be Oakhurst, so you can refuel there and maybe pick up some food for a picnic lunch in Yosemite. If you visited Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP, you would probably want to skip the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite, since you would have already seen plenty of giant sequoia trees, and instead press on to either Glacier Point or Yosemite Valley on entering the park. Either one will be about another hour drive after entering the park.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
1,027 Reviews
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
831 Reviews
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
2,561 Reviews
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
595 Reviews
Grant Grove Cabins
Grant Grove Cabins
395 Reviews
Moro Rock
Moro Rock
1,350 Reviews
Giant Forest
Giant Forest
1,534 Reviews
General Sherman Tree
General Sherman Tree
1,872 Reviews
Grant Grove
Grant Grove
284 Reviews
Fresno
Fresno
California
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,128 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,902 Reviews
4. Re: Las Vegas to Sequoia to Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, May 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...